Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
intrestingley enough the old undertray did not fit the new spoiler (thanks jason and adrian)

the spoiler was a bit wobbly without it so I cut some lengths of c section steel I had lying around and bolted the spoiler to the engine subframe

all done..

I wwill have to fill in the space with something ..
any suggestions ?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the undertray does not fit the new front bumper
I have braced the spoiler to stop it moving around but there is a big space where the undertray should be ....

I am looking for some suitable material to "cut to shape"
Otherwise its out with the glass matt and the resin..but that is a bit messy

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
two of my other motah's are in shot ..

which one ?

My wife works in Stirling most days and the blue one is her choice

The Silver one is mine and over christmas it would be going through stirling on the way to the MIL in helensburgh so both are quite possible

used to use stirling a lot more than we do now...

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the Turbosmart dual boost control valve control module
This was fitted to the aero but was removed for the stage 6
It allows two levels of boost to be set
one for general gadding about
two for eating porsches....

I have not set it up yet but I will set it at about 1.1 bar for the low and max it out for the high
on the aero it was 1.35 but we will see what the pressure switch on the carly is set to ...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Funnily enough, my Aero has never (in my time with it) had the centre part of the front under-tray, but HAS always had a slight vibration from (I thought) the front wheels at 70-80mph, that couldn't be traced to wheel balancing or worn bushes etc.

At the weekend (when fitting the traction control and changing the oil - halfords fully synthetic BTW, is half-price £15 currently) I fitted a front-centre-undertray, and expected nothing from it, but hoped perhaps for some improved high-speed cruising mpg.

What I got was the removal of the vibration!

I can only put this down to the improved control of airflow (the tray has a large 'scoop' to direct air up at the various 'radiators', that I wasn't aware of until I saw mine), which leads me to say that you should get yours back in service asap by whatever means neccessary - or you might find you begin to miss it!

Carl

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the importance of this undertray...
when dfds ferry company decided to rip the bottom spoiler off the aero the inlet temps went up by 40 c !!
you would think that having half of the intercooler hanging exposed in the air you would get better cooling ...not so
the spoiler and the undertray both have a contribution
If you look at the undertray it is not flat and has a sizable "scoop " behind the spoiler all contributing to the downforce
When I was attempting Vmax the spoiler showed signs of distress at the corners and the undertray was hanging out at the back after my high speed runs
So there must have been significant downforce on the spoiler at 155 to cause the distortion

I have modified it since then
I have bolted the trailing edge to the subframe and run a length of screwed rod from a crosspiece behind the grille to fix to leading edge and to pull the sandwich together
solid as a rock and ready for my next run
If you are interested I could take pictures

This is why I am keen to fix some kind of undertray to the carly...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have not set it up yet but I will set it at about 1.1 bar for the low and max it out for the high
on the aero it was 1.35 but we will see what the pressure switch on the carly is set to ...  [/b]
I've seen 21psi (1.5 Bar boost spike on the carly with no over boost cutout and it runs nicely at 1.3 bar at times.

As to the undertray, mine was all removed and reolaced this summer. Nice and secure now.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
ylee, they have layer pads at my work that go between the layers of bottles to give the pallets strength, it is about 2/2.5mm hard plastic that you have to cut with a hacksaw, I can bring one with me to Aberdeen if you want, you could then take a template and cut out the shape you want, the sheets are pallet sized so it would be big enough and is strong enough to screw/bolt through.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
picture of modification
showing the screwed rod

I drilled a hole through the crossmember behind the grille ,fed it through and bolted firmly to the undertray using the recessed holes at the front .
Nut above the plastic lug which usually holds the retained nut
screwed rod through the lugs and bolted from the bottom
height adjusted by the nut on the top of the screwed rod...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.