Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a busy 8 hrs on Saturday, the Carly is now back in the land of the living with a super quiet gearbox and a lighter wallet (but not a light as when dealers do it...). Only a 600 mile trip to collect from Bothel and one encounter with an unexpecting wife while loading the box into the boox of the Scaero.

Might even venture the Carly up to Emerald on Saturday to what what it does

Can you spot the old and new one
old and new 1
old and new 2

What goes here...
space pic 1
space pic 2
space pic 3

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The inner driver had to be changed, the new box had the smaller one fitted, and as somweones law states, the old boxes one is noisy, but serviceable (and it can be changed without removing the box again.

driver pic 1
driver pic 2

How dirty can a box get...
dirty pic 1

And the new one ready to go in
shiny pic 1
shiny pic 2

Next I will be breaking the old box down and performing a rebuild (bearings) and anything else thats wrong. Having changed this one twice and the Scaero's once in the last 2 years means it might be worth keeping a hot swap...

Andrew

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Forgot to say...the slave cylinder was brand new also, or at least I paid for a new one when had that box fitted. Glad to see it fitted okay and hopefully was worth the effort.
Its about this time the gearbox on my car will fail.........

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mark in Ireland:
[qb]Forgot to say...the slave cylinder was brand new also, or at least I paid for a new one when had that box fitted.  Glad to see it fitted okay and hopefully was worth the effort.
Its about this time the gearbox on my car will fail.........          [/qb][/b]
Doh!,
Although I swapped it with my old 3 times the mileage (180,000m!) one as I knew that worked and I didn't know how long or in what state the brake fluid would have left the almost new one.

On the plus side, changing it did show that the oil seal behind it against the input shaft bearing (to stop any gearbox weeps rather than slave cylinder ones) was missing so I reused the one off the exiting gearbox.

I was also surprised by the difference in size in the inner driver.

New box has now done 250m and has settled down very nicely.

I don't fancy removing it again before 250,000m or more. by then it may be dirty enough not top be recognised as new. (unless you look at the casting which has 1992 on it )

Andrew.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts