Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I think the 900 and 9000 Carlsson editions were purely European models (perhaps UK-only, in fact). They were rather quicker than the standard models (I think 204hp for the 2.0 and 220hp for the 2.3). There was a 9000 model designated "Talladega", which might have made it to the US and there was also a "9000 T16S Aero" which replaced it in '91 and which I'm fairly sure made it to the US (perhaps in small numbers).

Was the Carlsson you saw the old shape or was it the new-shape "CS Carlsson" that was only available here in 1992, replaced in '93 by the 9000 CS Aero?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure which one it was but I think I saw it on the saabcentral site. I believe they had one of the Carlsson sales brochures on there but I don't remember how I got to it. I just remember that the interior was gorgeous and the car looked sharper than any I have seen. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Was this the site?
My personal favourite of all the Carlssons was the 1992 CS Carlsson. You didn't get the CS in the US until 1993, by which time the CS Carlsson had been replaced by the CS Aero. I like it because of its very subtle looks. For the CS Carlsson, they left behind the brash "in yer face" '80s sporty styling of the earlier Carlssons. There's something about it that suggests that it might be quick, but it's hard for the casual observer to figure it out.

That's probably why I like the styling of the Aero too.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by goosenet:
[qb]Many thanks for the link Bill, it was extremely interesting, also I noted that the 91 Carlsson had Aero style bumpers but the 92 version had CSE style bumpers.

Michael [/qb][/b]
Yes, the CS didn't get the full bodykit as the Aero bodykit didn't become available until '93 when it was used (oddly enough) on the new Aero's.

I have slightly more "ricey" tastes Bill and I still reckon the 88-90 Carly hatch (in black) is one of the -est Saabs ever.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well at least now I know what to look for next since it's unlikely that there will be a Carlsson over here. I've had my 9000 for almost 4 years now and I think I'm going to keep buying them. I never would have even looked at one except that a mechanic friend of mine from England had 2 for sale, an 87 turbo and a 90 2.3 (i took the turbo
) and I needed a car quick and a quick car. I've had my other car (79 Z28 - gotta love the Chevy small block) for 22 years and I like to drive fast. Anyway he told me the 9ks were great cars and I figured he ought to know since he apprenticed at the UK Mercedes factory at 17 and worked for BMW after that. I've never regreted the purchase. Oh, and by the way, my English mate is now one of my best friends.

Sorry for the history lesson guys and thanks for all the input.

Hey, I just noticed the code for the red man icon says fawlty. Reference to Fawlty Towers or just coincidence?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by chucktv:
[qb]Reference to Fawlty Towers or just coincidence?[/qb][/b]
Well, sort of a "reference once removed".
It's a reference to our user here called Fawlty, who bemoaned the lack of the hatchback on the new 9-3SS and said he wouldn't be buying one. Until, that is, he drove one. Hence the icon.

Fawlty gets his name because he is in the hotel trade, which is where "Fawlty Towers" comes in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.