Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw a subaru wrx sti for sale today white gold wheels 300+bhp w/injection bla bla bla!salesman said warm it up /DRIVE IT that i did my point is a 2.3t saab running 1bar boost is still hell of acar to drive!!!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I think we've established before that the Carlsson 2.3 is defintely quicker through the gears (i.e. on a straight line blast) than a standard WRX even than the STi some would argue. The Scooby loses a lot of its power in the transmission and it also has a lower peak torque delivered much higher up the rev band.

It needn't be said that any 9000 will never be as happy on the twisty stuff though and the Scooby will put it's power down better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jason i was BORED and you know when you get that feeling ive had you two years its time to go! now not so bored if only in a straight line ps{perhaps ill wind more boost in]hey hey carlssonman

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Many people think horsepower is everything (they've never heard of torque). The 9000 will have gobs of torque from just above idle speed. Also, the Imprezza's drivetrain losses are very high (35% or so?) which means horsepower to the wheels isn't as high as the flywheel figure would suggest (if it is accurate, of course), and it weighs almost the same as a 9000.

How was it round corners, though?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Slightly different car, I know, but I almost bought a Legacy GTB estate before I drove an Aero. Yes, the Legacy would beat most Saabs cross country and from 0-60 (5.3s, 280bhp)& it still retained that practicality. However, precious little happened until the 2nd blower kicked in at around 4000rpm and then the thing went absolutely ballistic - so much so, that it was almost scary. I hasten to add that I am used to pretty fast cars.

However, the Saab's mid range oomph is devastating compared to the Scooby and the Subaru's interior brings a new dimension to blandness.

6 months down the line, I am a total Saab convert! I just hope the bills don't start to run amoke with my bank account.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

Just bought my first SAAB, an H reg non-cat 9000 CD Turbo Carlsson. The car is running only 1 bar of boost but, compared to other cars that I have driven, is amazingly fast when driven properly. Having been in a bog standard Scooby turbo, I'd stick with the Carlsson every time!! Horses for courses I guess? Anyone help out with what sort of performance figures I should be seeing from 1 bar of boost. I think SAAB's figures are 0-60 6.9 and 205bhP? The carlsson that I own definitely feels faster!

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Welcome to the 'scene Dave,

If it is a 2 litre engine then I thought the standard output was 195bhp as the engine had the smaller T25 turbo on it (from '90 on), however the 2.3 engine is altogether different with, I believe, 225 bhp (but I expect to be corrected on that).

0-60 in 6.9? I think that may be optimistic, unless you have the lack of mechanical sympathy that goes with performance testing other peoples cars for a living.... I'd guess at mid 7's, but then heavy front drive cars are never the best away from the line. It's all about rapid point to point progress, and that's where the Saab excels.

Nick.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for your welcome John, Pete & Nick looks like I've stumbled across a Forum that's gonna prove very helpful for a Saab novice!

Pete, the Power Engineering day sounds good, I'm only down the A40 from Uxbridge so I may well come along. What's the plan for the day and how much folding stuff will I need?

Nick, thanks for the info, although I must admit that I'm a little suprised though.

Having owned big fast cars in the past, XJS's, Carlton GSI's etc I have found that whilst being a pleasure to drive, they never actually 'feel' as fast as smaller, probably slower cars.

Currently I'm fortunate enough to also own a Phase 1 Renault 5 Turbo which is a car that not only feels fast but turns in a very respectable 0-60 time.

Perhaps I'm still over excited with my new toy, but the big Saab actually feels considerably quicker to 60 than the Renault 5, whereas if the Saab hits 60 in the mid 7's, it should be considerably slower.

I more than agree with you that 0-60 times aren't what it's all about, just a little confused as to why a pretty much standard Carlsson seems so very quick?

I guess I'll find out for sure, if I can make it to Power Engieering on Saturday!

Thanks again for your welcome, and for your help in the future no doubt!!!

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.