Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

carlsson spec

Tags
carlsson spec
3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bambo 
#1 ·
In reading the development of the 9000 over the years, I have just read that the 1990 carlsson(9000) was fitted with a 2.3 engine and was badged in other markets as the talladega and had 185BHP. Then in 1991 the a turbo was strapped to it giving a potential 200BHP and this ewas badged the Aero. Was this a bigger/more powerful turbo than on MY1990 or have I had it wrong all along; that the Carlsson was non turbo?

thanks

#2 ·
Oh no, the dreaded question!
I can say categorically that Carlssons have always been turbocharged.
Early cars were 2.0litres, 204bhp, non cat. Later (mid 90 I think) got a cat and bhp fell to 194. After that the engine size went to 2.3, power stayed around 200bhp.
There is an excellent table showing all variants and their specs. but I can't tell you the website I saw it. I'm having a clearout on the computer so if I come across it I'll post.

#3 ·
Further;
Hatchback 89 = 2.0l, 204bhp, no cat
90 = 2.0l, 195bhp, cat optional
91 = 2.3l, 220bhp, cat standard

CD 91-2 = 2.3l, 220bhp, cat standard

CS 92 = 2.3l, 220bhp, cat standard.

Auto was n/a on 2.0 Carlsson.

Sorry, paper does not have web address on. But it is a copy of an official Saab leaflet (part number 75-701656 Ref. 9401 which was 'printed on chlorine-free paper'.

#5 ·
I'm sure I remember reading the Carlsson / Talladega badging story somewhere too. Quarryeff is right on the money with the bhp figures, though.

On a similar note, can anyone shed much light on the CS Carlsson? What are its similarities / differences to the 9000 Carlsson and the CS Aero?

Cheers

James

#6 ·
courtesy of saabmuseum.com, I read this: -

The most significant change for 1992 was the introduction of the 9000 CS - a five door with a lower bonnet and four headlamps - separate lamps for full and dipped beam. The new rear section had improved safety reinforcements.

Catalytic converters became standard on all Saabs for all markets provided that fuel grades and local rules allowed them. Saab made another industry first with the introduction of CFC-free air conditioning systems.

ABS (Antilock Braking System) was standard on all models for Sweden, Europe (not UK) and the United States. On sale from the Spring of 1992 was the 9000 Griffin - which came equipped with every available option as standard.

bambo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.