Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another small problem i have with my carlsson. Not a major problem and could happily ignore it, but would like to sort it out. Heater blows hot air but only on the 4th setting.

Any ideas as usual are appreciated.

actionslax

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like the fan rheostat thingy. Mine went a few weeks after getting the car - exactly the same problem. It's an easy job but I can't remember how much the part was 'cos the car was under warranty at the time (phew!).

Cheers,

Liam.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This is a common problem, although not one I have encountered personally. A resistor burns out, and can be replaced by a competent technican, or you can buy a replacement module. Cost of resister will probably be 10p (!) but finding someone who can do the job might be more expensive.

I believe the resistor is located in the blower fan housing - but hopefully someone else can confirm exact location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with the fan blowing only on setting 4. The way to sort the problem and save money is; take the cover off which conseals the fan housing (between engine bulkhead and windscreen). looking at the fan housing from nearside wing, you'll see a wiring loom going into fan housing. unplug the loom from the housing, look in the plug end and you'll see the resistor. cut it out and take it to a shop that deals with radio/electrical components ( like Tandys if you still have one, we don't now in Blackpool). just match the resistor value ( mine was 184c and cost £1.30 ). Now i didn't solder the new resistor back in, as i was told the heat can travel down the wire and cause damage to the new resistor. I just bent the ends tightly around the contacts and put everything back as it was. As soon as i tested it, all 4 fan setting were working as normal. hope this solves your problem. Andrew ( currently enjoying a 91,9000 2.3se purchased while my 900 carlsson is being re-sprayed )

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Dear all,
The part described is actually a THERMAL FUSE, this is why it's rated as 184 C (as in 184 degrees celcius), and why it's not a good idea to solder it in (as it will blow the fuse immediately). Maplin stock them in many ratings, an early 900 needs a 212 C.
Use a screw connection for a permenent secure fix...
HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.