Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that the car back (see wont go!),it ended up it was the ig ECU someone for some reason has had problems with it before.
But thats it running now just brought it back,so far everything seems fine,well just now anyway,I thought things like ECU's went for years,or do they?.
Or maybe something else has happened and they (whoever they are)opened the ECU and basically buggered it,I dont know,it's running again anyway.
So again thanks for all the help/suggestions that was given,but to be honest I would never have thought of it being that,simply because it was sparking,well at "start up" anyway,but it just shows you!.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Jon

Glad to hear you have a running car.

Having had several updates and discussions on it and once you get it all nice looking some photos must be in order. Everyone here has got to know 'the beast' very well by now

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep!,I can do that, but there's just one thing that's kinda niggling me now that Iv'e got it back & running.
When I start it I'm getting a "check engine" message and also an "ERR" code on the computer,is this something to do with the other ECU (ignition)I'm using from another car?.
I was reading the manual about the "check engine" message but all it say's is "you can still use the car,but will not get optimum performance consult a dealer".Is this just Saab's way of telling you that the ECU has to be "programmed" for my car,because I was told (by the guy who fixed it)it doesn't need to be programmed it "plugs in",is this right?.
So do I now have some other engine problem,that I didn't know about becuase the engine wouldn't start before,can anyone help!.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gadgeteer,
I had a look at this you sent but it starts 93' and covers the trionic,mine's a 91' and LH jetronic,non turbo.
I'm getting "check engine" & "ERR",or am I not seeing something that's in there,can you/anyone help!,I'll have a look through the site.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Is your car new enough to be affected by running the engine with the fuel cap off? Mine has a warning on the cap that running engine with cap off can trigger engine fault alarm.

With all the things you've been trying you might have done this or something similar. From reading the boards, apparently this fault needs a few days/miles to settle down and switch off.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea the fuel cap is ok,but Iv'e never heard of things like another ECU having to "settle in",dont get me wrong I'm not doubting your for a minute.
You think it just needs a good run and take it from that,I know it needs an oil change & filter he put new plugs in today.
Y'see I'm in a catch 22,it's not MOT'd or taxed yet (I'll book it in tommorrow),cause it's been sitting for about 9 months!,(so I'm told) so I'm very wary of running around in it just now to try it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Jon,
Interesting that it was the ECU. Way back with my first 1985 Turbo it developed similar symptoms but only when it was hot. Ran fine from cold and kept going as long as I didn't stop the engine for more than 15 min or so. At restart would then fire a couple of coughs and do nothing more until it had cooled down for 30 or 40 mins.By elimination I eventually narrowed it down to the ECU. I removed the ECU, popped out the PROM and pushed it back in again. The car ran perfectly everafter.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
PROM = Programmable Read Only memory (or Programmable ROM).

This is the memory chip which holds the data containing your driving profile, and is located internal to the ECU.

A word of caution: One needs to be careful when connecting/disconnecting chips so as not to bend pins, etc.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh!,I didn't realise you meant the "chip" inside,'mmmmm' I'm very wary of opening these boxes,infact Iv'e never opened one at all.
Although I have my old one which I told was nackered,pitty it couldn't be chipped!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts