Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the cars been losing speed really easily, that is, when in gear and coasting. If I drop the clutch the car coasts freely. Also, when trying to make sharp exits from exit roads (especially left hand turns) I'm having trouble keeping the car "composed", it's embarassing as other road users must think I'm a hooligan.

At first I thought I may have a rear caliper on the way out, but the car will roll very easily with the handbrake off. I'm thinking possibly resistance in the wheel bearings or drive shaft/CV joints, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I doubt it being cv joints or wheel bearings,as these will have the same resistance driven or not,I would have suspected the final drive but I am not sure where the handling problem would fit in with that.The only thing I have experienced with anything like these symptoms was a broken sub-frame on a little Suzuki.
mike

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If the car is OK with the clutch depressed, the problem must lie on the engine side. If the handling is affected as well, but the engine runs OK I would suspect the engine mounting system, including subframes and the bits of rusty bodywork attached to them. I'm not too familiar with the 9000, but is there a bit of body that supports the engine and (say) a front wishbone?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found...

<ul type="square">
[*]Handbrake not operating on passenger side caliper, but caliper works fine on foot pedal.
[*]Gearbox mount looks shot, the rubber is OK-ish but the surrounding steel bits are corroded to hell.
[*]Lots of oil on the gearbox casing, but the level is OK
[/list]
Also while I was checking out the calipers I noticed a screw in one of the rear tyres. Luckily I still had the spare wheels ready that I'd sorted out for Anglesey last year but not yet used. Unfortunately this means I have Carlsson Aero's on the front and super Aeros on the back, but I have another two super Aero's waiting for tyres. So I'll get some more Proxes on order for this week, and book the car in for a 12K service ASAP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.