Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst getting the grime off the Black Flyer this morning, ready for going up to the Saab Owners Club winter weekend in York, I wondered what everyone feels to be the best combination of products for maintaining best appearance of their cars. And if you are going for a concourse d'elegance entry, what are your top tips?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. I've just had a look at that site and it seems interesting. I've sent them an enquiry for 20 sets & I'll let eveyone know what savings on the normal £50 price might be made.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions re care care?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I use autoglym on outside paintwork (twice a year).
Armoural on inside plastics and engine plastics(if i'm bored)
Car-plan leather cleaner/restorer (tried Connoly leather treatment, this just took days to soak in)
I use a brush (hoselock) attached to hose that automatically mixes liquid soap with water to wash car with in winter, in summer just a cellulose sponge (sainsbury) and warm water.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used to use Auto Glym wax polish and then the petroleum distillate "perfectionist" compound, but nothing touches Mer wax for simplicity, protection and effect.

alloys can be cleaned with a strong washing-up liquid solution and a soft nylon scrubbing cloth normally used for cleaning porcelain plates - but don't get washing up liquid near the paintwork. The alloy gels, foams and other stuff are just expensive gimmicks. Mer on the alloys keeps the brake dust away from the lacquer and metal and in the winter a careful coating of GT85 deals with the salts on the road.

inside on cloth, a £2.50 can of Vanish mousse goes a long way and on the plastics, GT85 is as good as anything else but a lot cheaper.

if you like black glossed tyre walls, Turtle Wax Extreme tyre polish is waterproof so it lasts for weeks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
it lubricates, frees components and drives out water, but dries to leave a PTFE micro-coating not dissimilar to the layers of teflon on non-stick pans.

also comes in handy to spray over the mountain bike frame, hubs and gears to keep water out.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a response from the paintprotection site. They'll do packs of 10 for £25 + VAT & delivery. Sounds like a "share" price of about £33. Or if John did want to do it via Elkparts maybe he'd do it at £39 + shipping ??

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
If you want to do a group buy then great, but you'll need to get people to commit. If you can not get ten buyers then I could look into Elkparts doing it. Of course, we need to make a little bit of margin for the business to buy more stock etc. If people want to avoid delivery charges for this or anything else, we can bring your orders along for collection at the East Midland Saab Steam and Spares day on 18th May. ( see http://www.eastmidlandsaab.co.uk/

/john

1 - 12 of 12 Posts