Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is bound to know about this...
I'm getting a new head unit to replace the OE Clarion radio/cassette and in-dash CD player. Now then - I want to use the existing amplifier.
I presume I need a new pre-out cable to run down from the new head unit to the amp? The cable I'm eyeing up has RCA connectors on the amp end - is this OK? I don't know what the connectors are on my amp input.

Also, if I want to use the amp in the new head unit, what wiring will I need to change? The existing ISO plug goes to the existing amp - so I'll need to by-pass the amp in some way?

Any experience/advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
355 Posts
It depends on the type, but the new head unit is likely to have a built in amp and should just plug in to the ISO connectors, bypassing the inbuilt amp.
I fitted a Panasonic CQ-RDP383N to my old 1997 CSE and that plugged in and worked fine; the ISO connectors even have offset lugs so you cannot plug the wrong one in.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
One of the ISO connectors for the OE kit is actually wider than you would expect and it will not fit into the audio output ISO connector on non OE Kit.

However if you follow the lead back into the wiring harness you will find that it has a standard size ISO plug and socket which basically is the feed/return from the exteral power amp. If you unplug it you can then plug the standard size connector directly into the output ISO block on the back of the replacement unit.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.