Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 1992 model year 2.3 CS Carlsson but was actually manufactued in 1991 and registered in Novembey 1991. I would like to know the legality in removing the 'cat' from the car as I'm in the process of looking at a complete stainless exhaust system. Your help and information would be gratefully received. Cheers

·
Registered
776 Posts
DeeVee/.
Yes cat can be removed, I have a 1994 CSE 9000 2.3T, so cat needed by law. Will not pass MOT without it, other than that, not sure of legality. Not sure if a non-cat pipe for 1992 is available, as not sure when the law came in, certainly a non-cat part for mine is only available( to my knowledge) from Abbott Racing, who supply a straight through pipe for £200 plus VAT(incl fitting)
Go for the thru pipe with silencer though, not complete straight-thru, due to booming etc.. From previous threads, I am told it improves throttle response significantly, and MPG( cannot confirm that from personal experience, but am already planning this modification soon anyway, as soon as new MOT sorted ).
Andy.
'94 CSE 9000 2.3T 250 BHP

·
Registered
183 Posts
<Snip>
From previous threads, I am told it improves throttle response significantly, and MPG
<End>

On Turbo's too it can increase the power output as it reduces (across the range) back pressure, so the power going into the engine in terms of fuel/air mixture is more freeley able to exit the system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
£200+VAT !!!

It's only a short section of (stainless?) steel with a flange at each end, surely? Find someone to make you one - Abbott must have at least a 400% markup on that.

My silenced cat-pipe in my other car came from these people (although I did not know that at the time):

http://www.blueflameperformance.com/new_page_1.htm

If you have an early type cat it will be much more restrictive than later types as they became more efficient. I would expect a worthwhile performance and economy improvement without it.

Cheers,

Liam.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I believe that you need a cat from "K" reg onwards in the UK.

Regarding the back pressure - I read on a 900 forum that the exhausts were kept to 2.5 inches to retain back pressure. I've no idea on this, but wonder why in general the more powerful the car the bigger the girth of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DeeVee, personally I would look around for your exhaust system and like Liam said get one made up, Abbotts is way over priced, we have a guy up here N/West will make you in a couple of hours a full stainless steel system with a lifetime warrenty, fitted, inc vat £240.00...that is a straight through system no silencer where the cat was..no boom at all, and it will help your turbo spool up quicker...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi ppl,

I was about to start a new thread today regarding a very similar question.
I'm about to fit rather a lot of gadgets to my '96 CSE 2.3FBT, Ive allready had a stainless steel exhaust made from the cat back, and was considering abbotts ss down pipe & cat bypass pipe.
Ive heard lots of bad things about useing stainless that close to the turbo. Ie it gets too hot.

Any one had experiance with this particular part from abbott?

Ta

Damian

·
Registered
776 Posts
Gary / All,

Thanks for advice re; possible cheaper thru pipe. Although didnt start thread, have been been given advice indirectly, as I havent got pipe done yet.

Gary,
I will phone that contact number, give him car spec, and if he is sure it will fit, he can send it for £40 plus delivery costs ?
I can have it stuck on locally then (North- West from Dover is not financialy viable you understand for comparatively minor part!)
Cheers, ANDY

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Longlife exhausts build stainless steel systems. I was very impressed with the quality of service and final result from the Cardiff branch last year when they fitted a CAT back system on my 9000 CSRE - and job garanteed for life at less than Saab charge for an original which may only last 3 years.

Cost was £255, although I think it is around £300 these days, and included vat/fitting and courtesy car.

They will take into account your requirements as much as possible, re sound levels, end pipe style, etc. CAT is definately main restriction on exhaust though.

For locations: http://www.longlife-exhausts.co.uk<br />Cardiff Branch - Tel 02920 489657

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everybody who kindly replied to my enquiry. I have now had it confirmed that I can legally remove my cat providing it meets the CO2 emissions. I've been in touch with Longlife Exhausts and they sound very promising indeed. I will also give the place near Blackpool a call as I'm based in the North West.....thanks 'mpen'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.