Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK on sunday i shattered the gearbox casing on my 98 2.3 anniversary
To cut a long story short first gear decided it long wanted to be inside and exited through the back of the box

The question iam asking is can i fit a box from say a carlsson or aero or viggen as i would assume these have been uprated as these cars run more power and as my plan is to run between 300 and 400 bhp i need to know what to do the final plan will be to have a qaufe box made but that i in the future

As for now i just need to get the car back on the road

Many thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, gossythevaleter.

I'm assuming your 2.3 Anniversary has the full-turbo engine (and probably even the B234R Aero engine). You should be able to fit a gearbox from any '94-on 2.3 full-turbo. Earlier gearboxes won't fit, as the engine block changed in '94. Only the 2.3 full-turbo had the same inner driveshaft joints, although you could refit your existing ones. Other gearboxes will have a lower final drive ratio, though.

The gearbox was beefed up a bit around 1997, although it seems not to have prevented your 1st gear from escaping, so you might want to look for one of those if you can find one. Having said that, 9000 gearboxes appear very robust, although I've just blown mine up as well but it has still to be investigated as it was only rebuilt last week.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If the UK market was anything like the US market, then the 5 speed in your '98 is exactly like all '94-up turbo 5 speeds, including the Aero. The Carlsson has a transaxle that wont even bolt-up to your B234R engine. The Viggen may bolt up, but the final gearing is a bit shorter, I believe (85:21 vs 83:23 for the 9000). Good luck finding a transaxle that will handle 400 hp. One of the tuners at Maptun,
Fredrik, has a 400+ hp engine and he's lucky if he gets more than a few months out of a transaxle. Anything much over 1.65 bar of boost, especially at lower rpms, will spell trouble for any 9000 transaxle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help guys found a gearbox and having it fitted today
Need to speak to quaffe in how much it will cost to build a strong gearbox as i seem to break them on a regular basis we sat down and worked it out last night on my two subarus i had 7 on my fiesta zetec turbo we have done 3 and i have only had this car a month and allready done a gearbox

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your replys Firstly no the car is an lpt at the mo however that will be changing soon I have found a gearbox many thanks TO v4 in hatfield or is it V2 any way i am having the box fitted today

I hope i dont break any more gearboxes in the last 4 yrs i have done 11

4 in my subaru legacy 3 in my subaru impreza 3 in my wife fiesat zetec turbo and now 1 in this

LOL ian wondered when you where going to pop up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your replys Firstly no the car is an lpt at the mo however that will be changing soon I have found a gearbox many thanks TO v4 in hatfield or is it V2 any way i am having the box fitted today

I hope i dont break any more gearboxes in the last 4 yrs i have done 11

4 in my subaru legacy 3 in my subaru impreza 3 in my wife fiesat zetec turbo and now 1 in this

LOL ian wondered when you where going to pop up

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by gossythevaleter:
[qb]doh seems like i have lost the plot or my pc is playing up      [/qb][/b]
Blame it on the PC

How do you think you break them? So far, I've only broken one on my 300hp Aero but it had only been rebuilt a few days before so I'm thinking that had something to do with it (we'll find out soon, I hope). Before being rebuilt, the gearbox lasted over 170K miles, at least 25K of which was after the power upgrade (305hp/392lbft) and I only had it rebuilt as a routine part of having the LSD fitted.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Scaero owner:

One or two boxes are acceptable, but 11 is just plain careless  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, I think you mean carless not careless  [/b]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts