Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to many of the helpful folks here I have been the happy owner of a '97 9000 CSE 2.3 Eco (Auto) since my return to UK last year.

Now that warmer weather has arrived (forget today ), I am looking to get a decent bike rack. Having trawled through loads of threads, it appears that towbar-based racks are much sturdier and reliable. Having then read various towbar threads, I still have the following questions:

- What towbar have you added to your 9K ?
- How easy was it to fit?
- Or did you get it professionally done, and if so how much?
- Did you get single or twin electrics ?
- Are the twin electrics much harder to install, and worth the extra cost?
- Has anyone seen a better current deal than this ?
Witter (twin electrics) @£126.50 inc VAT & delivery

Many thanks for any help or advice

Andy

·
Registered
335 Posts
i have a towsure.. was cheapest i could get at the time. 4bolts to fit, 20minutes flat - the saab has captive nuts welded under the boot floor to accept a tow bracket.. then you have to cut a notch from the plastic bottom of the bumper over panel to allow the bracket to reach around.
then look inside the left hand quarter panel and there is a built in connector on the cars loom for the electrics - plug it in and off you go

you'd only need twin electrics for a caravan or similar that needs power from the car for fridge etc. if you only carry bikes or tow boats etc. theres no need for the extra socket..
dead easy. two hours..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I fitted a Witter to both my CSE and my dad's. Five bolts, no cutting involved at all. Fitted single electrics and could now do one in less than an hour. It doesn't come with the connector but the Saab connector is pretty easy to connect to.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've one fitted from a comapny named Brink. Didn't do it on mine but on several other 9k's I 've done it.

We get a complete kit including extra braces for the trunk side chassis and a brace in the spare wheel cover it involves a lot of drilling. But mine is suitable to tow 1900 KG's

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QQCDAsETQZA9p3YsleFv8lypb2snvsQA9667pkIXIs1sewRRLT3s4Uufzg5KOKaA7ONzOt9eEJNwNCu
5LbsQaFMV7CEJh*OWcNrsU8ggus/towbar.jpg?dc=4675470272688990937

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgCDAvITbp49p3YsleFv8u*LcXnFIib9uHPz6Fhz9Qso4i9S3YO9xNcMRZrLayoYA*aAH!!RbswNsrF
i0Z0kMqEjAQmAAN!fkEc7cu82CQ/towbar1.jpg?dc=4675470272698089905

All the items you see on the pictures are fitted in my car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by rhino2.3t:
[qb]i have a towsure.. was cheapest i could get at the time.. ..Then look inside the left hand quarter panel and there is a built in connector on the cars loom for the electrics - plug it in and off you go    :thumbsup:  [/qb][/b]
Thanks rhino2.3t The Towsure towbar certainly looks unbelievable value for money !
From Towsures webiste I see it isn't 94/20 EEC approved - but do you know what practical difference that makes ?
Also did you buy a kit with the towbar and electrics, because I could only find price of sole towbar?

Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]I fitted a Witter to both my CSE and my dad's. Five bolts, no cutting involved at all. Fitted single electrics and could now do one in less than an hour. It doesn't come with the connector but the Saab connector is pretty easy to connect to. [/qb][/b]
You couldn't spare an hour for me Bill ?
No seriously, were the supplied Witter instructions clear and simple enough to follow ? - bearing in mind that I just about know one end of a spanner from the other.

Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb]I've also seen some 9000's which didn't have this kit but did tow heavy trailers. the spare wheel space bended, the rear bumper moved backwards for a few cm. [/qb][/b]
Ouch - that sounds pretty scary Injectie.
Your towbar rig certainly looks very substantial, but I think it is a bit overkill for my simple needs. But many thanks for the useful warning...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Andy, I just fitted a towbar to our Volvo 850, that was from Towequipe who sell on ebay all the time, search for volvo towbar and then find their shop from that as they don't seem to highlight Saabs too much.

Price was £82 inc VAT inc del, inc single electrics and that was for an EC certified bar.

The EC bit doesn't make much difference, it's just that cars post a certain year MUST use an EC certified bar, an equivalent bar that is non certified but works the same is, well, just the same but might not have been offered for certification simply because it's not necessary for that car which might have ceased production prior to the EC directive.

Of course, there will be bars that are non certified and [expletive deleted] but buy from one of the known suppliers and it's a non issue, besides, if all you want to do is plop on a bike rack, it's not really important is it?

David.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Andy, the towsure range is a bit kit-like, but if you phone them they know their stuff and will send you the right bits.. the elec coupling on the saab is a standard euroconnector to the loom.. as far as damaged rear ends are concerned, i can only imagine the weight was considerably over what would normally be recommended, or sudden loads from misuse..
i suffered no deformation of the rear of the boot floor when towing a twin axle caravan or a 20ft powerboat..
the 9000 isnt exactly a flimsy car - but with equally with enough effort you can damage any vehicle. hope this helps

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Witter towbar on my 9000, had it fitted by Indespension (I don't do working on the Saab, my other car takes all my time up! )
ISTR it not being much more than £150 fitted. That's for single electrics.

It's been fine pulling my westy (approx 600kg) on trailer (probably about 400kg) at pretty much whatever speed you're comfortable at. Still out-drags hot hatches even pulling all that weight too!

To the best of my knowledge single electric is all that's required for simple trailers, and you only need double electric if you're dragging a caravan about the place..?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.