Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just below the heated seat switch on my '93 CS there is a small black square that my book tells me is the cabin temperature sensor. My question is what the heck is it and can I take it out. Its been making a verrrry annoying buzzing sounds for about 5 thousand miles now and won't go away. I can do a quick fix for a few minutes by hitting it but that gets old awfully fast. What, if anything can I do to it??

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Josh

The temp sensor is basically a thermistor with a little fan to pull the air over it so that the ACC can work out how warm the cabin air is. Often the fan becomes noisy and you need to take the front off (grip the grille with a pair of fine nose pliers and pull gently) and clean out the dust and other crud. A quick squirt of WD40 should stop the fan from making annoying noises.

What part of Maine are you from?

Steve

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Although, as Steven says, you can pull the grille off easily, you may want to get the unit out to clean it properly. To do this, remove the ACC control panel using thin screwdrivers or feeler gauges or similar under the edges, taking care not to lever hard against the wooden dash. With the ACC control panel removed, stick your hand in, and you can pull the temperature sensor unit towards the front of the car. You might want to unplug the wiring connector first. You will almost certainly see that the sensor, fan and cage are covered in fluff. Clean it all off and lubricate the spindle slightly.

"Reassembly is the reverse of removal".

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the exact same prob when I got mine. The guy who tried the car before me actually stopped the fan, which I think had the effect fo making the ACC unit not work properly and always pumped out cold air. So I fixed the fan and oiled it up with wd40 (as suggested above) and it works fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Amazing, I had no idea that annoying sound was a fan? I kept thinking the electric seat switch was noisy and left it at that. Somehow the little buzzer seems to fire up over bumps and when you stop. I'll get to it ASAP. Fancy that a fan assisted thermistor? I'll check to see if my 9-5 has one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts