Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well I can vouch for tandino's car (now Jez's). I witnessed the results of all petes hard work in mild delivery at Elvington. Jez you got the best buy of the year-if you ever get tired of her and fancy staying with that mondeo PM me

Eric- again, whoah

As for mild tuning. Flip, get your APC home brewed and some good strong consistant intercooling to run the extra loads. Might want to think about extra fuelling, essential when running higher boost above say 4,500rpm.

With a chargecooler, remapped fuel ECU and a 3.3 bar FPR I went from 145BHP to 207BHP (recorded at a time when the car suffered from leaking vac) and 360ish NM torque.

This is enough for everyday use, and the car is very driveable and leaves yopu the option to blow away the world (within reason
) if you so wish.

As for gearboxes. They usually stand the punishment. I only broke mine on the track by hard and fast changing and especially reverse torque down the box. Muppetry prevails as we learn I guess

Lovely car all the same, whish i was still driving mine, but enjoying the 9K

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the responses - some real food for thought here.

I'm still getting my head round turbo theory, couple of questions:

1. The standard dump valve is a diaphragm type recirc one as I understand it. Want to replace with an alu one (Forge most likely) as I gather it is more reliable, hold sboost better, and helps the turbo spool more quickly - should I go for a recirculating one or an atmos one? What's the difference apart from the noise?

2. FPR. Do I need to worry about fueling to much if I'm only aiming for 200-210bhp? What benefits would a beefier FPR (or RR-FPR) give?

With regards the intercooler I was going to leave well alone, for the simple reason that I have aircon and I understand there's no room for a bigger intercooler with the air con in place. Would consider an electric fan to increase airflow though.

At the moment I am considering :

- JT 3" exhaust, 1 silencer. 50/50 about moving battery, would rather keep it under the bonnet.
- some kind of perf. air filter, probably panel so I don't get heat soak problems from a cone under the bonnet.
- DV
- silicone hoses
- APC tweak
- intercooler fan maybe?

Pipe dreams :

- 2.3 head
- FPR if needed

Of course then I should consider some sort of fast road suspension solution and uprated pads and discs.

Not sure where the money's coming from, the wedding's next year!!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The reason the stock DV is recirculating is to prevent any problems with leaks at idle or un-metered air on dump upsetting the A/F ratio. Because the DV sits downstream of the AMM, if any air escapes, then the car will run too rich.

A twin piston atmos dump valve will solve the problmes of potential idle air leaks, but may well give problems with overfuelling between gear changes. Having said that, I've been running an atmos on my T16S for a while now wihtout any apparent problems, but if you want to be 100% sure, use a recirc type. There's unlikely to be any peformance difference.

The IC fan would be a big benefit IMO. It's on my list of things to do as you can really notice the IC becoming saturated, especially in warmer weather. I was going to install automatic switching based on intake air temp and boost pressure. Basically the fan would come on if a preset point for either was exceeded.

·
Registered
762 Posts
as for fans on intercoolers would a all alloy intercooler be better than the later plastic (end cap) intercooler......

as for fans what size.......automatic switch on rpm or a manual switch on the dash like a "Extra switch"..

or would the easy option be a FMIC from a 9k/volvo etc what would be best.....

as for cost Trent sell intercooler fans but they want about £300 for it.
so a FMIC setup could/would be cheaper.....

Paul

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Bussman:
[qb]as for cost Trent sell intercooler fans but they want about £300 for it. [/qb][/b]
Yeah, but you can buy a Pacet Towfan for around £100 The rest of the bits shouldn't be that expensive either

·
Registered
14 Posts
Atmospheric BOVs WILL cause the motor to run rich around shifts. However, the amount of over-fuel is quite minor. I see puffs of black smoke, every once in a while, but that could be a mixture of conditions (26# injectors and a 3bar static FPR - later changed to 2.8)...

One way to combat the heat issue is to bypass the coolant flow to the throttle body. Used primarily to warm up the throttle from freezing, it could raise temps to unwanted levels in a hot environment. The flow of the coolant must be bypassed, not stopped. Some sort of diverter valve, or simply connecting the in/out tubes together would do nicely.

Some of the US folks are using IC "pull" fans from SPAL (?) that are, IIRC, 8". Most common setup is a toggle-switch that kicks on the fan, from the driver's seat. My friend is using a NOS system to cool the 9000 FMIC on his 900 - a little outlandish, but, hey, whatever it takes...

Lastly, a water-injection system will keep the predet at bay.

Cool weather is on it's way - yeeah!

Sparka Roven!

·
Registered
494 Posts
One way to combat the heat issue is to bypass the coolant flow to the throttle body. Used primarily to warm up the throttle from freezing, it could raise temps to unwanted levels in a hot environment. The flow of the coolant must be bypassed, not stopped. Some sort of diverter valve, or simply connecting the in/out tubes together would do nicely.[/b]
3/8" 90 degree bend copper tube fitting (the type normally used for soldering) and 2x 1/2" hose clamps did the job quite nicely. just make sure you have the correct hoses connected (the ones that are all ready wet inside). this mod has made tremendous a difference in the levels of boost that my own c900 will put out, both during the hot summer days (90-105 degrees F.) and during the cool nights (65-80 degrees F.).

as explained, this coolant line is designed to warm the throttle body to prevent the throttle plate from freezing in the cold winter months. this coolant line does not have a shut-off of any sorts, so it continues to flow hot radiator fluid through the throttle body even when the temperatures are uncomfortably warm outside. this may, as i understand, negate the cooling, air-condensing effects of the intercooler, by re-warming the air just before it reaches the engine. great idea for the everyday driver, but problem causing for the 'performance tuner'

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]ross   QUOTE
Jez you got the best buy of the year-if you ever get tired of her and fancy staying with that mondeo PM me  [/b]
get behind me satan..I have first dibs..and the cash waiting.. [/qb][/b][/quote]Just got back from honeymooning in the US. Really nice to go from a wallowy cabrio back to a fast Saab!

Yes, I count myself as very fortunate to be benefiting from all of Tandino's hard work. It really is a special car and performance wise, it is stunning. Should hopefully be taking it to Emerald (along with the Elise for one of their ecu's!!) in October to get the injector controller up and running. Should be interesting...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
Should hopefully be taking it to Emerald (along with the Elise for one of their ecu's!!) in October to get the injector controller up and running. Should be interesting...    [/QB][/b]
Let me know if you do Jez, i`d be up for a mini meet if you do. As i`m sure other `locals` would too.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by rage:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by JezF:
Should hopefully be taking it to Emerald (along with the Elise for one of their ecu's!!) in October to get the injector controller up and running. Should be interesting...       [/qb][/b]
Let me know if you do Jez, i`d be up for a mini meet if you do. As i`m sure other `locals` would too. [/QB][/b][/quote]Me perchance?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
OK, guys. I think John/ and Tandino might well fancy coming along for the ride too. Looks like I can get hold of a map for the Elise, so will only need to bring the Saab. Sadly, I think it will have to be a week day, but will query this with Dave/Leoni and keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I might be up for a rolling road day at Emerald too, depending on whether the SaabCentral one happens! (and what particular weekday it's on!)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I was up at daves fro a hour tonight, he's got a Lotus Super 7 in at the moment with a NA dunnell zetec engine pushing out 220bhp!!

Quick, I should think so.

Andrew

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.