Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think I've finally founds the cause of the dodgy handly on my T16S- the front tyres! The are some fairly old Continentals and even pumped up to 35psi I can easily push the sdiewall in by ¼ inch and when I push the car, you can see the sidewalls flexing. This is not helped no doubt by the fact that they are 205/55R15

So, they need to come off.

My problem is what to put on instead. I've been used to the high performance brands on the 9000, and as I probably won't be doing high mileages treadware isn't an issue. What I want is dependable grip and handling, although (for now) I don't intend driving it to the limits like the 9000.

There just isn't any decent performance tyre that I can find though in the stock 195/60R15 size.

If I stick with 205/55R15, then the choice opens up slightly but I'm not really happy about putting that size on a 5.5" rim as it is at the lower end of the acceptable fitting scale. The trade off is that if I went for the 55 section, I can get a performance tyre, which will have stiffer sidewalls- but will that be negated by the less than optimum rim width?

I also plan to fit lowering springs- so do I need to stick to 195 to avoid rubbing- or am I OK on standard wheels with the 205/55 which actually has a slightly smaller diameter

Any recomendations/experience would be welcome!!

(except, of course, Eric VS, 195/55's on 16 rims
)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mark E

I'm running Bridgestone RE 720's in the 195/60/15 size.

My car is by no means a 'performance' machine, however it has plenty enough power for me and these tyres have performed well in the conditions that we experience in the temperate UK. I have the Sachs/Boge sports springs available from elkparts on my car - this has lowered it approx 40mm. The car is really chuckable and has a steady feel to it - no problems with the tyres rubbing even with four big fellas in the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hear very good things about the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position. And if the Yokohama AVS ES100 are anything like the Yoko AVSi I used to run on my GTI then those tires are awesome as well. I just drove the GTI again the other night and completely forgotten what a great ride it was since I have been driving my overweight, poor handling 9000 recently. It was raining very hard and had absolutely no problem shedding water and getting traction. In the dry weather the AVSi felt like you were on tires made of glue. But they wear fast.

-Scott

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I do like the Dunlop SP Sport 01s I have on Cissie. Even the 195/65/15s did extremely well at Goodwood, yet they're pretty quiet and comfortable. Just looking on the Northway Tyres website (I got them from Northway in Watford), they only list 195/60/15 in HR (mine are VR), but if you need a higher rating, it's worth asking. They might be available. Best of all, they're not very expensive for a performance tyre. Excellent value for money.

As I mentioned last time I drove your T16S, that instability was just like Cissie used to behave before I upped the tyre pressures a bit. Obviously, that isn't enough in your case, but it does support your theory about the sidewalls flexing.

[Edit] I now have 34psi in the Dunlops, and that is how I ran them at Goodwood. At the time, I thought I'd set them higher. They must have been a bit warm when I set them.

[Edit again] P.S. if you like, Mark, you can take Cissie for a spin to try out the Dunlops. And if anyone else is wondering, Cissie is a 9000 CSE 2.0LPT. Apologies for any confusion

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I was in the same boat when I was running the 15" stock rims, and after some discussions with representatives of tyre manufacturers, decided that 205/55 was indeed the way to go - even though a 5.5" wide rim is merely 'acceptable' for that size rather than the optimum. Got a set of Dunlop SP9000's - the difference in tyre performance versus the Michelin MXV/ MXV2 I was running before, was more than enough to negate any negative effects from running tyres that were a bit wide for the rims. After all, 'touring' kind of tyres are all you get nowadays in 60 section...
Personally, given thee same situation now, I'd go for S03's or Toyo T1S in 205/55/15. In this specific situation, you might benefit from a somewhat stiffer sidewall than the SP9000's have on offer.

Still, they weren't half bad. After I got the 16"s for Saabine, they ended up under the Silver Arrow which subsequently was taken to the 'Ring by its next owner. I think Mark A was pleasantly surprised about that car's handling...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Oh forgot to mention -no rubbing problems whatsoever with 205/55s on a lowered c900 except on the rear axle, but that car did the same with 195/60. Why, I'd be buggered to know, only once in eight years the MOT-tester mentioned it and we decided to pass the car on even narrower tyres than 195, than put my own wheels and tyres back on. I still got the 'old' rear axle - it's not bent or anything...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys.

I didn't think I could get SO3's in the 205/55R15, but after your comment Eric I've checked and I can , so that's what I'll be going for. I'm more than happy with them on the 9000, and as I said wear won't be too much of an issue. I've also had the Dunlops too, but prefer the SO3s.

I can get them fitted for just over £80 each, which isn't too bad either . I just wish I could justify 4 at the mo...

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
To be honest.. I found the Dunlops on the silver arrow gave a little too much flex on it's sidewall.. you felt sometimes that the rim was rolling over the sidewall in some of the more aggressive turns.... The sidewall on the Bridestones looks more solid.. so it should work out okay for you.

Once I'd fitted the Konis to the 900 notchback turbo, it handled wonderfully... but then it didn't have too much power to corrupt the steering.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mark,

Why not wait for Steam & Spares in a couple of weeks??
Your bound to be able to pick up some 16" Aero's/cross-spokes + tyres for not much more than your going to spend on the tyres.
In my experience going for the 16" aero's was one of the best handling improvements that can be made to the C900 - it really opens up the ballpark in terms of performance tyres available as you well know.

Pete.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A very good thought, Pete, but I've already ordered the tyres.

Also, I would expect that I would need to replace the tyres soon on any set of 16"s I got for sensible money. As my gearbox is showing ever increasing signs of dying , I really have to "save" my money for that I fear

I'm not yet going down the ultimate performance route for this one, so I think I'm happy to settle for staying on 15"s for now- especially as I have a set of Konis (got them for a v good price) on the way and some lowering springs to fit.

As I said tho', good advice nonethless. I'll be going to S & S anyway to see if I can pick up any other goodies...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]I'll be going to S & S anyway to see if I can pick up any other goodies... [/qb][/b]
See you there, then. I'll be coming with Aerohead and perhaps another Aero owner.

And hopefully my Aero (was going to bring the 90, but if I've got Aero drivers as passengers...)

Maybe a convoy is in order if you promise not to lead me into trouble
, if I'm going straight from home. However, I may have to take rather a detour to pick up the passengers, in which case a convoy would hardly be practical.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I'm up for a convoy thingy Bill, depending on your pick up points, could arrange a meet-up point with Mark further north to suit your route..????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts