Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've done a search here to try and make sure that I'm not wasting too much time for folks.

Got a c900 lpt cause I kinda like tootling about and nice turn of speed when I need, which isn't really that often.

However, would like some more torquey / power. It seems to me that the easyiest / cheapest way forward would be to put an intercooler on it. I believe I can get one from abbottracing.

The car's in good condition and has been regularly serviced with 112k on it.

Question is - how much more power would I get from this mod or are there cheaper / better ways forward. The end result is not a completely moded motor - just a wee bit more enjoyable.

thanks

McSaab

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Cheapest route is to buy a second hand IC off a T16 FPT, I know Abbott are selling these as an ideal upgrade for LPTs but you might find one cheaper in a scrappy.

There is also the volvo front mounted IC upgrade that a few people have done but that requires more work in the way of fitting it & pipework etc. Again, source from a scrappy.

What other magic tricks are there for LPTs, people???

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've seen quite a few of the intercoolers on eBay too recdently, although there's none at the mo. Try to get the pipe kit with it if possible.

With that fitted, you can then afford to wind the base boost up a little to give you some more noticeable extra go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am in the process of tweaking my 91 Lpt at the moment. First job was to remove the cat, this was made easy by fitting an earlier down pipe and a stainless steel section given to me by a friend who had fitted a JT system.An intercooler has been fitted (from a T16 ), a JR air filter in the standard airbox and rrfpr (powerboost valve?). I have also fitted a boost guage which shows max boost as .3 bar to benefit from the intercooler the boost needs to be raised which is the next job .I have purchased a 1 bar wastegate which will be fitted once another friend ( Glenn Ellis who works at TSL (mostly on Subarus now!))has adapted a bracket to fit it then he predicts approx 190 bhp will be available
I am also replacing the rear exhaust section with a Jetex system with those lovely stainless twin pipes Will let you lot know what it drives like when I have finished.
Pete

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, thanks a lot for the replies.

So an IC from a T16 - and now for the silly question, where and how would you mount it in the engine bay - just by the air box i reckon.

What would you say would be the increase in power from fitting the IC.

Like the idea of the exhaust mod - but it came with a new one.

ta.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The IC fits just behind the LH headlight- if no-one else beats me to it, I'll take a pic later on.

Power wise you can safely get another 15hp or so, but more importantly you'll get a respectable increase in mid range torque, which is what will really make the car feel quicker.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Adding an intercooler won't give you much of a power difference but will allow you to turn up the pressure safely, so it is an essential mod before you start tweaking. To make a real difference to the way it feels is quite easy, with two options - one is to fit an MBC (manual boost controller) of the bleed valve type, which will easily give you the same power as a full pressure turbo. An MBC is basically just a valve that costs about £20. However, the danger of one is that you then have no knock protection as you would with the APC that comes on FPT's. MBC's are risky but I have run an MBC for over a year running 1.2 bar with no problems, dynoed at 183 bhp, 216 lbs of torque, so around 40 bhp more than stock. A better option is to fit an APC from a FPT. I am planning to put in an APC in the near future as several others on here have - a very good guide to this is on www.900aero.com in the DIY section called LPT 2 FPT. You will then basically have a full pressure turbo, and you can easily tweak the APC to make it quicker still. Intercooler should cost you £20-£40, APC £30 or so. Not bad for an extra 40 bhp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts