Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having put a fuse back in the panel on my (now long departed) '86 900 I was able to get the "Saabness" (read "Sweedishness") back of having daylights on all the time that went off with the ignition. Additionally, there were some blanks in the front indicator lenses which I understood lit rearwards from the indicator lens to illuminate the post you were just about to hit whilst reversing round a corner. My '89 900 seems to have been "de Saabed" in those respects by not having either. Is it easily possible to reinstate the daylights & front reverse lights? Is this something many 900 owners do?

·
Registered
613 Posts
You took a fuse out of the old fuse box to disable the DRL (day running lights) in your old car.

Is the corresponding fuse already in place in your current fuse box? If not, replace it and hey presto DRL's will come back on. IIRC it's somthing like fuse no.19 or 20. It should be written on the top of the fuse box which fuse to replace. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

If the fuse is already in place and DRL's are still not working then I haven't a clue I'm afraid.

As for reverse lights, as far as I know these were never used in UK spec 900's. I've heard it said that the blanks can be removed and these lights added, but I've never seen it done on a UK car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. You've inferred that I took a fuse out of the old fuse box to disable the DRL (day running lights) in my old car. I was implying that the daylights were deactivated by the previous owner of the '86 Saab. Putting the fuse back reactivated the lights. My '89 Saab doesn't appear to have the said fuse junction to be able to do such a thing as I don't think the wiring is there. Equally I don't think the wiring is there for the front reverse lights. I wanted confirmation if it is indeed the case that the wiring is not there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Originally posted by Russell:
[qb]My '89 Saab doesn't appear to have the said fuse junction to be able to do such a thing as I don't think the wiring is there. Equally I don't think the wiring is there for the front reverse lights. I wanted confirmation if it is indeed the case that the wiring is not there. [/qb][/b]
Hmm - my old 1991 900 had the DRL fuse: I removed it to turn off my DRL's. Perhaps a previous owner has been playing around with the fuse box on your car?

As far as I'm aware DRL's were standard on all Saabs and Volvo's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Saab removed running lights in the UK in '87. They were reintroduced in '91 - instead using the headlamps rather than 21/5w sidelamps.

Side reverse was a scandinavian/american market thing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, that'll be why I couldn't find a blank space on my fusebox for the daylights.

According to the hand book:

18 - RH Parking lights & tail lights. Number plate lights.
19 - LH Parking & tail lights.
20 - Radio.

I too have the headlights on all the time whilst driving I just remembered my friend simply putting a fuse back on my old '86 Saab to get the daylights, which I liked.

...just been to have a look (it's freezing!!) there doesn't appear to be a blank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Concerning the "side reversing" lights, I used to have an '88 900 that had them fitted by a previous owner (poss. imported). I thought they were a great extra but was told on a couple of occasions that they are illegal in this country, though I never checked this out. I would still fit them to my '86 900 if I could find some. I presume the car will already be pre-wired?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When it's much warmer I'll get the multimeter out & see what's about in the wiring loom.

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The wiring for 'side' reversing lights is already there on my 91, so presumably on later cars as well. I got a set of front lights from Neil at 'stafford swedish cars' a while ago which had the required bulbs and reflectors. plug in and go. Neil may still have some , USA spec I guess.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
As for reverse lights, as far as I know these were never used in UK spec 900's. I've heard it said that the blanks can be removed and these lights added, but I've never seen it done on a UK car.  [/b]
I've got them on my '89 convert. Like Fred I got brand new american spec (I think) front side/repeater lights from Neil at Stafford Swedish a few years ago (very cheap). Simply plug in and they work. I'd like some for my 9000s but they do not have the wiring fitted.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I remember the first time I saw these lights turn on, I thought it was the greatest idea to have these lights as they light everywhere you can see around the car to help in backing up! Gotta love Saab

·
Registered
451 Posts
Are you talking about the ones under the mirors? I know cadilacs and allot of high end SUV's have them right under the mirors integrated in the housing. I think that having a more cleverly designed lense from the front of the car that curves around the side is much more practical and will most likely last longer as the ones on the mirors are prone to more movement, exposure to pebels flying up and just more wear and tear. And no, Saabs innorth america don't have those. They have the corner lenses at the front that wrap around the side and light up almost to the back! Clever, Clever Swedish people!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think he's talking about ones in the same cluster of lights. In the American version if you just hold the turn signal up they don't come on, but if you push the signal lever up to the lock then come on. Some cars call them lane changing lights. Really gets the attention of the guys next to you! But it also lights the lane to help you see to the right (or left) of your main beams to let you know you're not going to hit something unintended...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm on about the front reverse lights which are in the same cluster as the turn-indicators & the side lights. On the UK spec cars there is a large, clear, colourless lens rearwards of the side light & below the indicator & a blanked off bulb housing.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Russell:
[qb]I'm on about the front reverse lights which are in the same cluster as the turn-indicators & the side lights. On the UK spec cars there is a large, clear, colourless lens rearwards of the side light & below the indicator & a blanked off bulb housing. [/qb][/b]
Yep, they are blanked off on UK spec cars on the classic 900, GM900 and 9-3 at least.

Here is a photo of my 9-3 which has the US-spec light clusters and has been wired in for side reverse lights. There are two bulbs in each indicator cluster: one for indicator and one for reverse light. The lens throws the light backwards down the side of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts