Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
first off not sure if this is correct section so if not i do apologize.

right i know with aftermarket dvd players it is simple to bypass the handbrake wire to watch dvds while car is in motion, i am looking to do this with my factory fitted dvd/sat nav in my 2011 95.

before i get hassle for this i am doing this for my 4 year old son to watch it while on lengthy car trips, so he does not come out with the dreaded 'are we there yet?'

has anybody done this or attempted it?

thanks guys :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
It will most likely work in the same way as aftermarket, either just earth the parking break wire, or if more complex fit an automated switch.

Word of warning though, if seen by the plod driving past they will most likely pull you as it is still an offence I believe. If you as the driver can see it, its illegal. Does the OEM HU have video out to a remote screen capability? This way you could do it legally to a second monitor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I was intending to do but could not find any outputs on the HU

But the HU has an internal hard drive and seperate disc drive which i did not get access to. So maybe it has got outputs

Has anyone got the same in their car and found these??

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
if its anything like the ones we fit in work it will not only have a signal from the handbrake but also be connected to a speed sensor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's another I could not seem to find on my journey across the internet to find a solution.
Was hoping one of the members on here had done this and could shed some light on it for me

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
tbh i think the info on the new 9-5 is very limited even at main agents, have you tried saab central

·
Registered
284 Posts
Speed sensor tends to be used more for the inbuilt navigation than whether the monitor can be used on Head Units. Some combine them, but most don't and just rely on the handbrake switch.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
for what its worth as you said before trying to earth the handbrake is not difficult and may give results but tbh doubt it

give it a go..........you dont know untill you try:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts