Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this saturday just gone, me and my friend Fox had a busy day planned working on our 9000s! For mine, simple orders of the day were to clean the idle control valve, and fit poly rear ARB bushes. Fox was slightly more ambitious... 3" JT from the turbo back, new engine mount, replace front brake pads. Now I'm a complete amateur mechanic, Fox knows a bit more what he's doing but by no means either the pro like some of you guys here!

Started at 10am Saturday, I had to be done by 4pm... 6 hours!

Long story short, we only got the exhaust done and that was it! Oh and I half sorted out my idle problem. Via the gift of BillJ's 9000 site I had instructions for cleaning the AIC valve however I must say mine seems incredibly inaccessible! Getting the lower pipe off the thing proved nigh on impossible, since the clamp thingy is done up such that the screw is pointing right towards the back of the engine. Quite how you're supposed to get a screwdriver in there I have no idea, so in the end I plugged everything back in except the main large rubber tube heading into the throttle housing. Fired the car up and it idled OK, with it at idle then squirted carb cleaner sporadically into the pipe heading down from the main throttle to the AIC valve. A few hiccups from the engine and it seems to have sorted the problem, mostly. Still falters slightly more than it should (esp when engaging AC etc.) however it doesn't feel like the cars going to stall now.

The exhaust was a complete b&stard though, thanks in part to a completely rusted/welded together centre/rear section of the existing exhaust. This made removing the thing very hard (especially working in confined space, we jacked the front of the car and had the back on a ramp, so not much more than a foot of extra clearance under there perhaps. Coupled with to be honest a lack of ideal tools meant we spent 4 hours removing the old exhaust fully from the car. The securing bolts between the turbo and the downpipe were a bit of a mess too, but we got there in the end.

If any one else is thinking of doing the 3" exhaust thing from the turbo back, NB the hardest part we found was getting the downpipe in the right place, it only just fits around the securing bolts because of all the other stuff in the area which makes moving the pipe slightly harder. The old exhaust comes off very easily, being that little bit smaller. Once you have the downpipe and cat in place, the rest is a doddle. That said, it is still I would say a two man job! Especially if you don't have access to a decent lift etc.

Anyway, next weekend we're going to do his upper engine mount and the rear ARB bushes on both of our cars. I'm very curious to see the effect the poly upper engine mount has on his car, am thinking of doing it to mine too. Also, I'm assuming that I'm right in thinking we need to saw the bushes in half to put them around the ARB?

Back to work! Jules

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by slidejules:
[qb]Also, I'm assuming that I'm right in thinking we need to saw the bushes in half to put them around the ARB?
[/qb][/b]
No, they already come split

Ref exhaust, it can be done by one person, but there is a knack to it... the front section is the hardest to get in. I found that offering up the turbo end and then moving the other towards the drivers wheel makes just enough room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.