Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up early today (09:00) and set about the Carly.

It's at 168500m and 500 overdue it's 6000 oil change, so it's had one of those this morning (with so extra special halfords semi synth 15w40 from their sale).

It's also had it's gear lever bushes done (different lever mounting on that compared to the 93 Aero!)

And it's had it's front Anti roll bar Drop link bushes changed Easy to get off, a beast to get back on, the steel tube is exactly 1 knats whisker smalled the the anti roll bar. It too a 1lb persueder to get them on.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Its funny all the different bits of info you get from the boards and off the experts....I was going to change mine like that but Giles at Abbott said there is no need to, and as he is an expert...I didn't! I changed the 2 clamping bushes below it though as per Abbotts advice. Funny world....

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I wouldn't think there was much benefit in changing that bush either. I have poly clamping bushes too, but haven't yet fitted them. In fact, I'm going to replace the front anti-roll bar bushes with standard rubber too, as I much preferred the handling balance with poly on the rear only.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the clamping bushes last year along with the ARB bushes.

Trouble is I was changing the ARB's yearly for wear and MOT failures.

I bought the droplink bushes at S&S this year as the droplink bushes were well shot (one was completely parted, the rest were loose).

We'll see how they go.

Andrew
PS, doing the front ARB did readd some understeer, but nit as much as doing the rears removed, ad the car is still vwert nicely balance for standard spings and dampers. Maybe on uprates srings/dampers it becomes too much.

I have decided for now not to do the front front wishbones bushes.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was under Scaero yesterday I noticed that one of the drop link bushes had slid about 1/3 of the way off the steel insert and was riding up over the end nut. Checked the Carly, and the same thing.

Today I effected a fix for 69p (cost for 2 cars).

I bought 4 1.5" * 3/8 hole washers, drilled the hole out to 12mm and fitted to the end of the bush. We'll just have to see if it works.

Sorry for the poor picture.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About £168.23 +P&P

This includes:-

Front Anti roll Bar bushes
Rear Anti Roll Bar bushes
Front ARB Drop link bushes
Front ARB end bushes
Front Front wishbone bushes (not done on mine)
Front Wishbone butterfly bush
Steering rack bush (aborted attempt on mine yesterday)
Front Dogbone bush
Rear Dogbone bush

There are also available Gearbox mount bushes.

Less than it costs to replace 2 dead front tyres due to bush wear.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Andrew,
I've had the same problem with the poly bush pulling out over the nut and fixed it the same way. It begs the question as to whether the poly bush creates to much strain on the ARB at the end?
Nick.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it probably the design.

The saab bushes are rubber bonded onto a shaped matal tube (flared at each end).

The poly are tubes are flat and not bonded.

I think that is why.

The washers should do the trick.

One of my saab rubber ones was unbonded and was moving over the nut too.

Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.