Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Just after opinions on what is the easiest wishbone rear bush to fit, other than the Abbot ones? Do they all require pressing into the butterfly housing? Only ask as I live in a little village (so no engineers with presses) and I don't have a vice. I'm using the powerflex engine torque arm bushes as they are split.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys
I do intend to get a vice, its more a question of having to build the workshop first that's preventing this at the moment
. Maybe I'll just go and get one and fudge something to bolt it to for now. A couple of big holes through next doors picnic table aught to do nicely . So I take it that there are no split bush options for this bush?
Kev

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.....how about I use my hydraulic trolly jack to press it in. I just need to find two really solid surfaces to put the whole lot in between, or maybe I'll get under next doors car and sandwich the bush and housing between the jack and their car....I'm sure they'll understand

·
Registered
969 Posts
Kevster
I used a standard small bench vice (the type that screws up under the bench). The bush and butterfly just fitted with a push. I used boiling water to soften the bush and plenty of the grease in the sachet. It felt like the vice was going to shatter as the bush bulged, then suddenly just popped right through
You could get the vice for the job (using it loose) and fit it to a bench when you get one

·
Registered
234 Posts
Kevster,

just measured the vice here in work and 4" (100) refers to the jaw width. The spread is close to 130mm, so should do the job (bush housing is only 2" across, therefore max should be 4", leaving best part of 1" spare).

Like Alan says, just use the vice whilst not mounted on anything.

Good luck,

Pete

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Alan
I'll go for the b&q 1tonne vice then. One more question...I have been looking at the superflex bushes on their site. They are supplied without the stainless tubes, which are sold separately. Does the fact that the stainless tubes are sold separetely mean that the ones in the existing rubber ones can be removed and fitted to the new poly bushes? Or have they done this for those who are replacing poly bushes and so already have the stainless inserts?
Kev

·
Registered
276 Posts
Give WMSS a ring. They've offered to supply me with rear wishbone bushes with Superflex bushes already pressed into them on an exchange basis. I think they charge the same as Saab do for their standard bushes.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aeroboy...that's handy. May give them a go .

Anyone know about the centre tubes? Is it best to replace the original ones with stainless, or is there no difference so I might as well go with the original tubes?
Kev

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kevster,

Go for the stainless tubes.. The old ones can be used but won't be smooth and more importanly, what I found is that they are about 1-05. mm to small diameter wise, so slop around. Well worth the extra.

You could use a large 'G' cramp to insert the bushes,or as I used a bench vice, this is available from Screwfix to @ £8.95 I think.

Also easiest way to remove old rubber bushes is build a samll fire and burn them out, easy to clean up too, works a treat.

Think I have seen split bushes somehwere btu danged if I can remember where...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
merekat
OK...I'll go for the stainless tubes . As for burning the bushes out, my wife is EXTREMELY allergic to rubber, so that could be a mariage breaker (as it nearly was last week when I lit up the types
). I now have a cunning plan for getting them out though

Kev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.