Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some kind soul reversed into my car at the end of last year and cracked the paint on the bumper.
After a few months of rain, snow and now the searing heat of the Scottish summer the paint is cracked in several places and looks a right mess.
Does anyone know if this is easy to fix or is it a job for a paint shop ?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
218 Posts
It depends whether you are any good with an aerosol can!
Basically you want to rub it down with wet and dry paper working up to 800 grade. Prime first with a plastic primer, don't forget to mask everything off well!
The hardest bit will be top coating it. You can get an exact match from a local auto paint company mixed in an aerosol for less than £10, ready to spray and a good quality. Don't forget metallic needs a clear laquer too!
My advice is if you really want to do this is to get one of the Haynes books on bodywork and have a read. The book and the paint will probably set you back about £35-40 but it will take some practice to get it right. Painting is a definite art. I practiced by getting an old damaged panel (like a bootlid or door, usually free) from a bodyshop and played until my results were good. Don't just jump in on the car unless you have done it before.

Get a quote from a bodyshop, it will probably come out around £100-£150 to paint the bumper. They will match the paint exactly, you can be sure it will be a good job and if not take it back.

Hope this helps.

Duncan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.