Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Has anyone found a way to make your tranny stronger? Maybe a shorter throw from gear to gear and able to withstand 300 plus horse power in a 9-3 or gm900?
My transmission right now is very sloppy can anyone help?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, the best way is to limit torque on low revs. 300bhp does not kill your gearbox, but 500nm torque with 2000rpm does. You may have to use bigger turbo to achieve this goal, but something can be done with appropriate trionic software.

I know a lot of guys who can destroy anything ( no, i'm not one of them ), so try to drive 'wisely'. One should be aware, that saabs ( orig. gearboxes ) with massive power levels ( > 300bhp ) will have gearbox problems sooner or later. This is a fact.

Limited slipp differentials can help to protect your gearbox ( by restricting excessive wheelspin ) as well. ( See for example http://www.speedparts.se/prod/sp_vxl_diff.shtml in sweden or http://www.quaife.co.uk). These units are quite expensive, but they will make your saab a lot faster.

Note also, that stronger clucthes can manage high power levels, but these will also put some extra stress on your gearbox. I think that better ( wider ) tires have this same effect as well. So, by using 'normal' size tires you will have some extra wheelspin, but this also protects your transmission.

Then, if you are a rich man, you can buy better parts for your transmission. See for example http://www.quaife.co.uk/ . I think this is the only way to go if you really want to avoid gearbox rebuilding at least once a year ( with 300bhp++ powerlevels ). These guys can help you, but it will cost a lot.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Elliot:
[qb]Has anyone found a way to make your tranny stronger? Maybe a shorter throw from gear to gear and able to withstand 300 plus horse power in a 9-3 or gm900?
[/qb][/b]
As 95power noted above, get in touch with Quaife(they have a US division as well) as they do a gear kit for the Vectra/Saab F25 gearbox, but not sure if this is the box fitted to the 9-3 or the one in the 9-5.....or are they the same box...??

Will be lots of $$$ thou'......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am not a rich man so I may not be able to afford some of the parts suggested. The owner of genuinesaab.com here in the US suggested for me to install the new 02-03 saab transmission. What do you guys think about that? Has anyone here tried to tackle a project such as a tranny swap?
thanks
elliot

·
Registered
494 Posts
My transmission right now is very sloppy can anyone help?[/b]
sorry, i have no info concerning 'overbuilt' Saab trannies, but your comment does make me wonder if the 'slop' you mention is within the transmission itself, or if it is possible the issue is somewhere in between the gearshift and the tranny?

if you had mentioned that your tranny was popping out of gear, or if you were experiencing a car or gearshift lever vibration while in a particular gear, i would fear transmission troubles.

concerning your comment on how your transmission is acting, i might suspect the shift rod adjustment may be out of place, the rubber bushing in the shift linkage may be torn/missing a nut or bolt, or that your gearshifter may not be properly adjusted. of course, those issues would be something i would suspect on a c900 as i am familiar with these and not the newer models.

HTH

·
Registered
295 Posts
The swedish highoutput tuners are now using the 6 speed box from the 93ss, aparently that box can take the stress!

So I guess you shoul be looking out for one of those on the scrap yards!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The "slop" in the tranny is due to the hydraulic engine mount. www.genuinesaab.com makes a polyurethane bushing that is supposed to make the shifter feel much nicer.

The reason for the sloppy feel is that the engine is allowed to move significantly in the engine bay, the shift linkage is a solid piece, and therfore the shifter moves as the engine does. Makes for some very sloppy shifting. This should be one of my upgrades when I get the chance.

The reason for Saab using the hydraulic mount is that below 1,800 RPM the twin ballance shafts don't work effectively and so there is some vibration. Since most people typically drive above that range, upgrading to a poly-mount shouldn't make the car annoying to drive.

Dubbya~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts