Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a BSR stage 3 PPC upgrade for my 2001 9-3 SE auto. I already had installed a 2.5 inch catback, a 3 inch downpipe and race cat and an intake pipe and opti flow intake. My only problem is, after downloading the program from BSR and uploading it into my car, I dont realy feel any big difference at all! There is supposed to be at least a 50 hp gain and even more of a torque gain but I dont think I have felt much of either of those. Has anyone else tried BSR as a tunning company or have any input as to what the problem may be?? Thanks!

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I would suspect that the automatic gearbox software is controlling the torque to its safety limit. Because that limit is quite low (compared to the manual) you may have reached it with your earlier upgrades.

Horsepower = Torque x Engine Speed. So if torque is limited then power will be too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I concur that the software is likely to be torque limited to protect the autobox, especially in the lower gears.
It's an educated guess, as it's in Swedish, but it seems from the BSR website that the software for the automatic only gives a 20Nm gain in torque, pressumably the gearbox only being rated to 300-320Nm.
Or it gives 20Nm less than the manual....????
Anyone translate
And with the mods you done already, this is probably why your not experiencing any feeling of a big gain in performance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Funny to see this thread for me as I just installed BSR stage 3 software in my car today. There was a very large and noticable improvement over the stage 1 software. The car is a manual trans though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Which intercooler do you have?

I too am not getting the full benefit of the BSR upgrade on my 9-3 (I only got 190 bhp at stage 1). I've now done the exhaust, ECU (to stage 3) actuator, solenoid and had all the sensors tested. I'm almost certain that the dual pass intercooler on mine is the root of the problem. Do you find that peformance falls away after the first burst of acceleration?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being that it is an automatic, I know BSR limits the torque 20Nm in the lower gears compared to a manual but I still expected to feel a much bigger gain than i am feeling.

In answer to the last post, it does feel like after the first push of acceleration it seems to drop off a little. In fact, I might go as far as to say I am now feeling less acceleration in the higher gear range than before the ECU upgrade. However I dont think it is because of the intercooler, I have the single pass one found on the newer 9-3's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Didnt know there was a ppc stage 3? Anyhow, the BHP gains are based on software and hardware mods. Thus a 'full stage 3' offers the total amount of BHP. If youve already got all the stage 3 hardware mods already (and hence a big chunk of the total BHP) you cant expect the total gain. However, the car must run better/faster as the software should now match all your mods?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I was wondering is if maybe I have lossing the boost pressure i should be getting now with this upgraded ECU. Before the ECU i would max at like 13 to 14 PSI, not i have hit like 15 PSI at least once, does this seem low to any of you? With all the mods Ive done including the stage 3 ECU, should I be hitting higher than this? Is that why the power is not there?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have no experience of the BSR stuff but my Maptun'd 9000 Aero runs 1.6 bar, which is about 23-24 psi. 15psi is only about 1 bar, which is fairly standard for the later high-output turbos as they come from the factory. I'd be very disappointed with 1 bar on a Stage 3 tuned Saab. My Aero boosted to about 1.1 bar as standard.

From what you say about how BSR accommodates the auto gearbox, I'd still expect to see plenty of boost in higher gears.

Check for leaks (including the dump valve), check the spark plugs for correct type, gap and condition (actually, throw them away unless they're brand new - they're cheap) and test the DI cassette by substitution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See thats what i thought, i knew 15 PSI seemed very low. Its funny you mention checking the spark plugs and DI cassette, because just the other day i was driving and the engine light came on, i had it checked at the dealer and they said it was a misfire in one of the cylinders and that i needed to bring it in soon to have the spark plugs and DI cassette checked out. However, would either of these have anything to do with the low boost pressure? And also, what spark plugs SHOULD i be using for the setup i have???

Patrick

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Pat 9-3:
[qb]However, would either of these have anything to do with the low boost pressure?[/qb][/b]
I wouldn't have mentioned them otherwise, would I?
Knock sensing is performed through DI, which uses the plugs as sensors for various parameters within the cylinders. If the plugs are wrong or the DI is failing, you can get false knock sensing which will cause Trionic to reduce boost to avoid the knock it thinks is occurring.

I don't know which plugs are recommended for your car - I'm more familiar with T5 cars - but I know the standard plugs are OK on my Aero up to 300hp. So worth checking for a start that you have the recommended plugs in there and that they're gapped correctly - look in the handbook.

Finally, I assume you are using a fairly high-octane fuel?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]Finally, I assume you are using a fairly high-octane fuel? [/qb][/b]
Should be using at least 93 grade fuel in the US, preferably 94 if you can get it where you are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes im using 93 grade fuel. Thanks for the help everyone, ill check out the DI, plugs and dump valve as soon as i get a chance and keep you all posted.

Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so i took it to the dealer to get checked out and it was the DI. So I got a new one, ($$ouch), and new plugs which were gapped at about .9mm. I took it for a drive and now its boosting at about max of 20 PSI!!! All is great now, EXCEPT, about ten minutes into the ride when i was realy riding it hard, the engine light blinked for a few seconds and then went off. Last time this happened it blinked for a few seconds then stayed on. Do u think i should just forget about it? Either way, im happy for now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts