Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased the standard PPC for my 2001 9-3 Aero. When I installed the software onto the car and took it for a test drive. While driving along in 5th at around 55mph the engine check light begun flasing for arond 5 seconds. This subsequently happened again under acceleration in 3rd on this occasionn the light remained on. When i reverted back to standard this light went out. The vehicle has never given me a hint of trouble in 7k I have covered since i bought the car in Feb 05. Its done 92K with a full service history, the car is now due a service , which it is booked to have at the main dealers. Any suggestions as what the problem is - could it be software related???

·
Registered
494 Posts
welcome to the boards

sorry that i cannot provide any useful information, but have you tried contacting the software manufactureres tech support?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have spoken to the supplier from where the item is purchased and they have said that the vehicle requires a tech 2 diagnosis so that the any fault codes can be picked up. Although given that i can not isoslate this problem to specific cause and that it is intermitant i have my doubts if tech 2 will show any fault codes.
Obviously i dont want to upload the software if it is going to cause potentially serious damage.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If you ask me, that's dodgy software if your standard car has never shown an error code.

Personally, I'd request a replacement unit and failing that resolving the problem, I would request a refund and go shopping elsewhere.

I have had a Speedparts Stage 3 pluged into my car for 3 years, done 45,000 miles and had no error codes at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put my BSR PPC stage 3 program into my 2001 9-3 SE about a month ago. For the first two weeks or so i wasnt noticing any real performance gain. Then one day on the way home from work, i had the same problem you had, the check engine light went on blinking for a few seconds then continued to stay on. When i took it to the dealer to have it checked out the code showed up being a misfire in one of the cylinders. They said i needed to have the DI cassette replaced. I had them do it and right after that i finaly noticed the performance gain i was looking for. If your problem persists however, i would agree that getting your money back any way you can and going with a different, more established company would be your best choice.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
It's just possible that the extra power and thus load on the DI cassette is starting to make it fail, but without reading the error code it's difficult to say for sure.

You might do better opting for a tuner with a network of support garages that you could take your car to to have it fitted and checked.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
To produce more power, more fuel/air has to be drawn in to the cylinders at a higher boost pressure. As I understand it, the resulting denser mixture is harder to ignite, meaning that the DI has to work harder.

It's certainly not uncommon for high-ish mileage DI units to show a problem after an ECU upgrade, although it can be solved by "servicing" the DI.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Spooky coincidence - an hour after making that post my DI cartridge failed... Undiagnosed at the moment but a bad misfire shortly followed by complete failure to fire/run and a sort of electrical burning smell...

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts