Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tuned my car with BSR PPC Stage 1. Mine's a 9-5 2.0t, all stock. Once tuned, the gears shifts are very erratic. 3rd gear kicks in at 3.5K RPM, 4th at 4.5k RPM and these are all under normal load and very gradual acceleration. Even 5th gear comes in at 4K RPM. In a very small city like where I am, there's not much use to speed up too much with very high RPMs or waiting till 70km/h before you get
3rd gear is just not smooth driving.

BSR has been slow in their response and only said it could be adaptation period that the car needs. I have driven the car for almost 400km now and it's not getting any better. BSR
asked me the following: "Is the car well served etc.? If there is a faulty component to your car, the behavior you describe could occur."
And they sent me this chart: http://en.bsr.se/products/t871/chart/
But it doesn't say how the gears will be affected by it.

Originally all gears kicks in at 2k RPM, so it's a smooth ride. The car has only 47K on it and has been serviced at 40K at Saab authorised agent, where the car was sold.
So I can't say there is something wrong with car after the upgrade.

So wondering if anyone has the same problem and what was done to fix this. I really love to get back the car I love.

thank you very much.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just tuned my car with BSR PPC Stage 1. Mine's a 9-5 2.0t, all stock. Once tuned, the gears shifts are very erratic. 3rd gear kicks in at 3.5K RPM, 4th at 4.5k RPM and these are all under normal load and very gradual acceleration. Even 5th gear comes in at 4K RPM. In a very small city like where I am, there's not much use to speed up too much with very high RPMs or waiting till 70km/h before you get
3rd gear is just not smooth driving.

BSR has been slow in their response and only said it could be adaptation period that the car needs. I have driven the car for almost 400km now and it's not getting any better. BSR
asked me the following: "Is the car well served etc.? If there is a faulty component to your car, the behavior you describe could occur."
And they sent me this chart: http://en.bsr.se/products/t871/chart/
But it doesn't say how the gears will be affected by it.

Originally all gears kicks in at 2k RPM, so it's a smooth ride. The car has only 47K on it and has been serviced at 40K at Saab authorised agent, where the car was sold.
So I can't say there is something wrong with car after the upgrade.
So wondering if anyone has the same problem and what was done to fix this. I really love to get back the car I love.

thank you very much.[/b]

I'd de-tune the car and see if the gearbox is now ok. Then try to Re-tune the car. If things are OK de-tuned, but not on Re-tune, then there is your evidence to feedback to BSR.

Almost sound as if it's enabled super 'sport' mode.

Keep us posted.
P

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
What year is your car? And what was the original horsepower?

There are lots of maps offered by BSR for a 2.0t Saab 9-5. Have they sent you the correct one? Or one for a manual gearbox?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year is your car? And what was the original horsepower?

There are lots of maps offered by BSR for a 2.0t Saab 9-5. Have they sent you the correct one? Or one for a manual gearbox?[/b]

Hi, thank for your kind help.

My 9-5 is 2006 model. On BSR's site, or most EU markets the car is listed as 150bhp.

I have checked with BSR and they confirmed that they have sent the correct file and they listed it for Auto gearbox.

Although one thing they might not have known is that in Singapore, in 2006 all 9-5s have been tuned
to 185bhp. So this might just be the cause of the problem.

So I am waiting for them to respond and hopefully today I will hear something. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd de-tune the car and see if the gearbox is now ok. Then try to Re-tune the car. If things are OK de-tuned, but not on Re-tune, then there is your evidence to feedback to BSR.

Almost sound as if it's enabled super 'sport' mode.
Keep us posted.
P[/b]
Hi Paolo, thanks for the suggestion. Makes sense to de-tune it.

But would there be adaptation period as well? I would imagine yes but it would probably take a few hours of driving for
the car to go back to 2K RPM gear changes, depending on my style of driving.

Do share your POV.

thank alot.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I thought that I'd heard that Singapore had a higher powered 2.0t which is why I queried it.

If you check their site BSR show an upgrade for the 185hp 2.0t in 2006.

For some earlier cars they show different maps for manual and auto. Not sure if that applies to newer cars.

Adaptation involves pulling a fuse and so erasing the memory in the chip. I would assume that a remap would do this too? The car will feel a lot more responsive for a short time after the fuse has been pulled (or the battery disconnected.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what happens afterwards. It would set everything to "factory" without affecting the remap.

If all else fails try a de-install and see the effect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, I wrote to Elkparts where I got the BSR PPC and the reply was:

BSR has asked that you have the vehicle checked at a Saab dealer. They have asked this for a reason. The upgrade my have identified an issue with the vehicle that was not noticeable prior to the upgrade.

It is a difficult situation. You want the issue resolved but you also want to ignore parts of their advice?

You really need to continue your dialogue with BSR Sweden in order to identify the cause of the issue, since this issue is peculiar to your car, not the upgrade. It is just that the upgrade has identified the issue.

So a relatively simple tuning now turned into something complex that will need me to face unfriendly dealers and who knows what other problems they will come up.
Rather than checking if the files are correct and written to the correct specs. My hopes now lies in BSR response.

Otherwise, I'll de-tuned or unplug the battery to see if I can reset it.

Will keep you posted of the 'nice' people at BSR and Elkparts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought that I'd heard that Singapore had a higher powered 2.0t which is why I queried it.

If you check their site BSR show an upgrade for the 185hp 2.0t in 2006.

For some earlier cars they show different maps for manual and auto. Not sure if that applies to newer cars.

Adaptation involves pulling a fuse and so erasing the memory in the chip. I would assume that a remap would do this too? The car will feel a lot more responsive for a short time after the fuse has been pulled (or the battery disconnected.

You could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what happens afterwards. It would set everything to "factory" without affecting the remap.

If all else fails try a de-install and see the effect.[/b]
Hi, I just checked and I just saw the 185bhp version under 2006 for 9-5 2.0t.

So I have a feeling that must have think that my car is 150bhp. So could this be the reason why my gear
shifts at very high rpm?

I checked my VIN number in their record and it did say it's 150bhp though. Surely if Saab in Singapore had tuned
it, they should have a record of it right.

thanks again for shedding light on this.

·
Registered
696 Posts
In my experience as a Saab mechanic there are lots of updates for the automatic gearbox. If I were you. I'd put on the Standard software. Go to the dealer. Ask for an update of the automatic gearbox software. and an update for the engine manegement software. Probably will there tis station supply whilst updating the TCM the same info as I am used to see. Updates for smoother gear changes. In order for this update to work latest engine software has to be installed.

After you have done this. When you come back home plug in the PPC box. this will probably give then the message that you need the PPC to be connected to your PC for the latest updated software from BSR. Donwload this and install this.

If you don't need an upgrade from BSR you probably allready had the latest trionic software. Which after tuning revealed that you're gearbox software wasn't up to date. While driving on original software this wouldn't be a problem. But when you installed tuned software margins will be stricter therefore revealing this.

I hope this will solve you're problem.

I think this is the Same route as BSR wants you to go. That's why they recommend you to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my experience as a Saab mechanic there are lots of updates for the automatic gearbox. If I were you. I'd put on the Standard software. Go to the dealer. Ask for an update of the automatic gearbox software. and an update for the engine manegement software. Probably will there tis station supply whilst updating the TCM the same info as I am used to see. Updates for smoother gear changes. In order for this update to work latest engine software has to be installed.

After you have done this. When you come back home plug in the PPC box. this will probably give then the message that you need the PPC to be connected to your PC for the latest updated software from BSR. Donwload this and install this.

If you don't need an upgrade from BSR you probably allready had the latest trionic software. Which after tuning revealed that you're gearbox software wasn't up to date. While driving on original software this wouldn't be a problem. But when you installed tuned software margins will be stricter therefore revealing this.

I hope this will solve you're problem.

I think this is the Same route as BSR wants you to go. That's why they recommend you to visit the dealer.[/b]

Well this is far more understandable now.

When I first got the PPC it did ask me to do the Sync for latest software, which I did do the update online and I then flashed the car with the PPC and it worked.

So would this be of any difference? And should I still go to the Saab for auto-box and engine management update?

And in your view, if the tuning file is meant for 150bhp but the car actually has 185bhp, will it cause the gear change issue?

thx u for your help.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well this is far more understandable now.

When I first got the PPC it did ask me to do the Sync for latest software, which I did do the update online and I then flashed the car with the PPC and it worked.

So would this be of any difference? And should I still go to the Saab for auto-box and engine management update?

And in your view, if the tuning file is meant for 150bhp but the car actually has 185bhp, will it cause the gear change issue?

thx u for your help.[/b]
When you synced it. It updated to the version corresponding to you're trionic version.

Yes you need to go to the dealer for the latest updates. still speciallt the gearbox software is impotant. BUt it needs the latest trionic software to be work correctly. So you need that one as well.

I'm not sure. things may vary to much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well almost 1 week of silence from BSR I had to call them to check if they are even doing something about it.
Apparently the reason why they are not responding is because they don't have any answer. So they suggest
to wait till they find one and that's all there is to it.

So I'm stuck and I believe the tuning file I got was not intended for my 9-5.

So I guess I can wait or de-tune and go back to original and admire my 650Euros paper weight and Elkparts are not
even helping in anyway.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi - I think it's because you've got the wrong version of the remap. Switch back to orginal and see - only way to say for sure. Can't they send you the 185 map? if they won't swop it over, sell on the bay and choose another tuner..I know you'll make a loss but this must be driving you mad.

Al

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well almost 1 week of silence from BSR I had to call them to check if they are even doing something about it.
Apparently the reason why they are not responding is because they don't have any answer. So they suggest
to wait till they find one and that's all there is to it.

So I'm stuck and I believe the tuning file I got was not intended for my 9-5.

So I guess I can wait or de-tune and go back to original and admire my 650Euros paper weight and Elkparts are not
even helping in anyway.[/b]
Are you intending to try my suggestion or are you gonna leave that option blanc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi - I think it's because you've got the wrong version of the remap. Switch back to orginal and see - only way to say for sure. Can't they send you the 185 map? if they won't swop it over, sell on the bay and choose another tuner..I know you'll make a loss but this must be driving you mad.

Al[/b]

No one will buy a PPC they cant use on their car - there are locked to the car you buy it for unfortunately.........

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yep, I forgot that important fact! I remember now considering the PPC but went with Abbott instead and kept my own ECU.
Cheers
Al

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, I forgot that important fact! I remember now considering the PPC but went with Abbott instead and kept my own ECU.
Cheers
Al[/b]
Hi...yeah you are right. That PPC can't be sold now as it's pegged to my chassis no and only my car can be tuned and de-tuned.

Anyhow, just an update...

Getting no help from BSR to date, I just decided to de-tune the car and re-tuned it again.

Surprisingly this time round things are diffferent.

First of, the car is much more zippier and very fast, at times it scares me.

This is not the same as the first time I did it. I can't quite put my fingers on it. But it's not the same.

Now the gear is not as bad as before but not as good either. 1st to 2nd is good, below 2K RPM unlike before.
2nd to 3rd is at 3K RPM and 3rd to 4th is only after speed is 60km/h. 4th to 5th is also 2K plus RPM. So all in all,
it's more predictable on when I can expect a gear change.

The only thing that bothers me is 2nd to 3rd, which if you drag can even go up to 4K RPM before it engages. But
if you let go at 2K RPM or let go gently, and press it gradually, it will shift to 3rd.

So now I'm not sure for those who have had BSR experience if this is normal. I am trying to live with it as it's better than
before. Just would love to get feedback from those who have had experience with BSR.

By the way, is the vibration on a 9-5 normal during idling. It sort of purrs like a cat when it's in idle and I can feel the vibration.

Thanks for reading guys.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've experienced BSR updating needing de- and retune before. But I'd still go to the dealer for updated Gearbox software. THis is Something BSR can't supply you with..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, I just came back from Saab dealer and they confirmed, through my VIN, that there is no software upgrade for my automatic gearbox and there's no update for Trionic 7 as well.

They said full service was done in July 2009 and the gear oil has been changed and the gear has no problem, physically.

I think I've exhausted all avenue. I've retuned it and still the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts only after 3200rpm.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There was a thread on here somewhere about re-training your auto by a sequence of specific accelerate/brake cycles: might be worth a try as it is free! I can't recall exactly but it was something like change from neutral to drive and back a few time at tickover, then accelerate gently (taking 30 seconds?)from 0 to 50kph and brake to 0 five times in succession. The gearbox then re-learns the change points. You will need to find the thread to get the details.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.