Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 96 9000 2.0 lpt and I am wanting to upgrade to a possible 220-240bhp without turbo changes etc.

My main concern is do the above manufacturers still employ the same safety devices in their ECU as Saab do?
I want more power without putting the engine at risk with disabled features.

Thanks,
Scotty Mc

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Scotty and welcome to Saabscene

The simple answer is yes.

The safety measures that are built in to the original ECU such as knock detection and prevention, plus overboost correction are retained in these sort of software upgrades.

The turbo will be good for that sort of power; you will need to fit either an intercooler or APC solenoid, but these would normally come as part of the kit.

Of the suppliers you list, there are less BSR upgrades around, but's that's not to say they are necessarily any better/worse. A lot of people here have Speedparts or Maptun and the reports are all very positive. I know Maptun offer a "staged" upgrade process- i.e. once you have had an upgrade, subsequent re-programming of the ECU is cheaper. Speedparts may also do this, I don't know. Both can offer upgrades on an ECU swap out basis, with a core charge, so you don't have to be without your ECU.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys!

Mine has the intercooler.

I have been looking at Maptun and was interested in their Stage 1 conversion, to me the difference between stage 1-3 is noticable but the torque gains aren't hugely improved.

Speedparts appear to be decent so I'm having a look at those. 220-230bhp is sufficient for me, just enough to at least stay with my Dad's Aero is fine for me!

Thanks for the advice guys!

ps. I have a manual boost valve which is in the house and I was thinking of fitting this as an interim solution

1 - 4 of 4 Posts