Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Noticed from other threads (e.g. Heater Matrix)that some have changed/checked heater blower brushes.

If anyone can indicate typical mileage and age of car at which time these needed replacing (especially for ACC - whereby blower is on 99% of the time) , it could assist me with some preventative maintainance.

I'd rather change brushes before any metal holders start scrubbing the copper commutators.

Also, can anyone advise of similar lifespan for Alternator Brushes?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
From my own car '94 CSE and reading many forums I would say that the average life span of carbon brushes is about 100,000 miles. On my car both failed within a couple of weeks (interesting, the brushes are about the same length for both heater fan and alternator). For the alternator it's easier to replace the whole voltage regulator with the built in brushes (about $15 in the US). The VR is held in place by just two philips head screws.
The blower fan brushes are harder to replaces and in any case most times the copper commutators are very grooved and worn out by the time the brushes wear out. A new blower fan in the US is about $55

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leon,

Thanks - and for the v-useful pic.

Both my 9000's (previous 1994, and current 1998) have clocked over 140k miles, without brushes knowingly failing. But that's one reason I was considering preventative maintainance.

I will check out the alternator first, when I get a mo.

Paul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.