Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... so much so that I can't get into my car in the mornings! The door latch (note: not the key part!) seems to be freezing in these frigid temperatures. Does anyone know if lock de-icer (sp?) will work for solving this problem? Any advice would be most helpful as I find myself frequently climbing over the e-brake and shifter every morning just to get into the driver's seat!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Before the snow hit i sprayed my locks with some cheap WD-40 stuff, and the key, and worked it into the key hole on the drivers door and the ignition. So far the doors were pretty easy to open when they were frozen shut. But lock de-icer is only a quick fix, not a perminant (lasting). I think peter messenger suggestion would work fine as a more long term approach.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Most de-icers are made up with a large proportion of water,so in the long term they make things worse,I would suggest using petroleum jelly,a mucky job as you need to hold the little flap open as you push the jelly in,any excess wipe over the door seal and stop that freezing to the frame.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Putting grease into a lock is not normally recommended. If it gets very cold the grease gets so stiff it can hold the tumblers in place when you take the key out, so it stays unlocked and can be opened with a screwdriver.

I think you may be OK with the key/lock design on a Saab, but not sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting, reading this thread, I remembered that last year I could not get into my car (MY90 9000) because it was frozen. The Central locking would unlock all but the drivers door and then because the driver's lock was down, it instantly re-locked itself!

Since I have blanking thingies in the actual locks (so you can't actually put the keys in), it must have frozen from the inside.

I wonder if the water that gets inside doors naturally might have formed a 'dew' inside the door lock parts and frozen them?

Perhaps its time for us all to make sure our door drain holes are still clear...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I remember buying my mMother-in-law (a joke is surely lurking there) one of those keyrings with a specially heated tip to insert in the keyhole when frozen. I think it was available from Halfords.. could make a great stocking filler?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Well, OK. It won't go really stiff, and when you have water problems you probably have a worn lock anyway.

I have oiled and greased all sorts of things over the years that people say you shouldn't, like nylon - and locks. Not had any problem to speak of.

The best thing I found on a difficult lock for water/rusting/freezing (a Maestro boot lock) was some of the silicone rubber nylon lubricant spray. I had the lock apart and put the stuff on and almost polished it off the bits so that there was only a very thin film left. That lasted for a couple of years before my son wrote the car off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.