Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my head under the bonnet and noticed that an exhaust manifold stud has snapped .

Has anyone managed to extract the remains of a stud with the head still on the car (I've used a depth gauge and reckon there is about 4mm protruding from the head)?

I'm tempted to have a go at removing the head myself if the stud can’t be removed. I've done this before on much simpler cars, minis etc. If it comes to this am I better of taking it to a professional.

The car has done 105K on the original gasket so I'm woundering if the head will need to come off soon anyway.

The car has had a new exhaust, including downpipe recently an I thinkk this may have put additional strain on an old stud.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The last 4 Saabs Ive had has had a broken stud, including the one I have just bought.With that mileage I would be tempted to change your head gasket and get the stud drilled out when you get your head skimmed,

I asked about getting one of mine drilled out whilst in the car and was told if you were a fraction out you would be looking at a new head.

Mines in soon to get done

·
Registered
240 Posts
A-Ha, .... have done this in situ, head still on.
There is a better way you know!!!

The way i get studs out is to weld a nut to the remains of the stud then simply unscrew it.

As soon as they snap the tension is released, so when you get a grip on it she should come out easily

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If it isn't blowing leave it.I believe that most 9000's suffer this, and my advice would be to leave it well alone if it isn't blowing. Mine has a broken stud, I even did the head gasket last year, but because I couldn't afford it to be off the road more than a weekend I left the stud. Still going strong with 203K and a broken stud, still not blowing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way i get studs out is to weld a nut to the remains of the stud then simply unscrew it.[/b]
I've heared of this before and may give it a go. The manifold does blow when cold so it needs sorting. I'm sure that if I leave it it'll let go in a big way.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts