Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest where to get the best bulbs sets/kits for 1994 2.3 cse. Dont quite do it for me , especially on dark side roads - still used to mye old RS2000 covered in Cibies prehaps !! someone has suggested Xenon is it ?? Thankyou

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is a previous thread regarding bulbs etc. I have installed Narva (German) Xenon bulbs, which have provided at least 30% more light, yet run cooler and therefore don't damage the headlight components. Cost and extra 30%, so that seemed fair to me! Take care if you intend to uprate the wattage of the bulbs, as you place extra load on wiring harness and relays.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Hmmnnnn......RS2's covered in Cibies, glad to see someone else coming from the same background as me!!!!
Go for the Xenons...I've put them in my Aero, does make an improvement..but not the same as a pair of Oscars though!!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
"Yes, if anyone can tell me what bulb are (or are not) legal, it would be appreciated,want to sort when I have service shortly."

On all vehicles registered after 1st Jan 1985 the bulbs must have the appropriate 'E' mark. Only 60/55w dual filament or 55w single filament lams come with "E" marks. Technically, higher wattages are not legal but if they are properly set up and not dazzling who's to know?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does that mean the xenon ones are ilegal. Are the xenon ones the thype that look a bit bluish from a distance. By the way I'm also ex AVO (MK1 Mexico 1700cc stage 2...also with cibies)

Julian

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Xenons are not illegal, so long as they are 'E' marked (i.e. Type Approved under the Vehicle Directive) and therefore also of the 60/55 Watt specification. Xenon is an inert gas (remember our Periodic Table's in Chemistry: which enables the bulbs to give 30% extra brightness for the same wattage (power) rating of standard bulbs. I guess that Xenon bulbs also use special fillaments as well.

Word of caution:
The User Manual of my CSE ('98) warns against using higher wattage bulbs (H1's on this car), and I believe that this can cause a problem with the lamp failure warning sensors, which turn on the dash pictogram. Don't know what happens in practice though! Xenons shouldn't be a problem though, as they are standard wattage.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Xenons are different to the 'Blue' lamp bulbs.

I have seen a pair of Xenons for sale for £11 in a local Car Parts shop in S-Wales. So prices are comming down to a more reasonable level, and I recon they are a good buy. (What price increased nightime visibility?)

Xenon bulbs are being fitted as standard on many newer cars these days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts