Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my local breakers yesterday and today (just happens to be the largest in the South East!) and got a few nice bits and bobs for the Carlsson out of a late facelift 9000 (M/N-ish reg), a late dark wood dash (not sure what the exact colour code is for it?) and best of all a 9000 Audio system complete with seperate Alpine radio/cassette with full logic deck and Dolby B+C, seperate CD player and a seperate amp that sits under the drivers seat!.
It was a bit of a pain to get the loom out for the amp though as i had to remove the drivers seat.
Does anyone know anything about this system ie sound quality and cost when new?, i have a Alpine head unit in my 900T16 and am very impressed with it.
If anyones interested there are plenty of 9000's there (Pease Pottage off the M23).

Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adrian, its my old man's- recently aquired for him by chance when i replied to an ad selling a cheap 900t16 5 dr (my engines knocking!), the ad was wrong, it was a G-reg 9000 Carlsson 2 litre in black!
Oh it cost £250!
Pete.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M23, i think its junction 11?, heading southbound its 3 junctions after Gatwick airport, just follow the signs for Pease Pottage services.
Go past the services on your right, straight over a mini roundabout and its about 400yds on the left.

Pete.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
tandino,
Give us a clue on the Alpine's model numbers and I'll look them up in my old catalogues if you like...
The breakers is G.W. 'Billy' Bridges, renown throughout the area, but rarely has Saabs' in, you got lucky there... (did all these 9000's come together in the same accident??)I looked in over a couple of months and came up with zip.
Nick.
PS. Wouldn't mind seeing your conversion while you're in the area Gassy.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CdCarlsson,
Thanks, the model no. is CMS 80-1.
At present Bridges has (from memory)
a 2.3cd saloon K-plate ish,
2 90-ish 9000 turbo hatches-one auto ,one manual
9000 hatch manual,
9000 2.3 hatch auto,
85 900 turbo (blown engine)
900i 5 dr hatch (rear ended)
And maybe a couple of others i cant remember!

Pete.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tandino, I've spoken about the Alpine AMp Saab Audio system in the past. I think in my personal experience its the best in car audio system I've ever heard out of a reasonably priced car (i.e. no big mercs, Bm'w or Lexus's) even at full pelt the sound is still clear and the amazing standard bass really gives every kind of music that extra kick. Mine went caput unfortunately in an old 9K I had a few years back...but that was because it had Alpine CD and Radio Cassette but then a Luxor(I'd never heard of 'em either!) amp (it was an early '90 car) from '91 onwards though it changed from being in the dash to being under the drivers seat and changed to being an Alpine Amplifier as well but sound quality was not affected. I still say considering my original was 1990 it had an unbelievably good quality system in it, that never used to jump either like some older systems in the early days of in car CD's did. Mine went caput because of the Amplifier was quoted something silly like £450 or a new one (just the amp!) and I couldn't find a system out of a scrappy for love nor money (every breaker in driver magazine called!) and so got a Pioneer 10 CD Changer, which was very nice,and great quality but never really fitted in like that wonderful in dash cd/cass/amp of the manufacturers, and never sounded as good without spending £250 on speakers and a sub to make up for the bass.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm afraid the model no. isn't a standard Alpine, probably a special that they did just for Saab. No doubt it is based on or is just another model renamed. They are usually four digit codes with some alphas' in front. eg: CDM-7838R etc.
Nick.
PS. Was this the CD player?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it working yesterday after installing it in the car and leaving it for a couple of hours to clear down the memory, i think all the messing around had locked it out and it wouldnt accept the code.
The sound quality is very impressive and my old mans grinning like a cheshire cat!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, it looks really nice in the mahogany dash i put in it yesterday aswell!!

Pete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts