Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I realise that the 9000 is a heavy car,but I have noticed that the brakes on my Aero overheat and smokes alot and fade, Is this common?, if so what are my options?
I know I can change the Brake system, but that is too expensive. what are the cheaper options-
Pads, what make? disks? etc.
thanks in advance

Tony

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've got Mintex pads with Abbott grooved discs on my Aero and can't get them to fade at sane speeds. That's a nice legal sixty to zero, seven times in a row at maximum braking effort. My datalogger gave consistent stopping distances within 9ft.

For the record: Run. Distance(ft).
1 133
2 134
3 135
4 130
5 124
6 127
7 124
This was in dry conditions, 14 deg C, with the remnants of Yokhama 579's on the car. The fronts were smoking nicely by the last stop, with a soft ish pedal, but the results show that the braking effect was not diminished. The brakes had a better bite to them if anything.

I'd say for road use they are bullet proof, but the track might be a different matter altogether.

Nick.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'm using the Trent Saab Stage 2 setup, which consists of Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear and Brembo grey iron Group N discs front and rear. Jason describes it as "driving onto spilt glue" and I couldn't put it better myself.

The front pads require a tiny bit of grinding to make them fit the caliper. Trent Saab used to do this themselves, but my last set came unground. If this is now normal, it might be better to source the pads elsewhere as they'll be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've just put ATE power discs (which I think BillJ used previously) and Pagid fast road pads on my 900 and now they're both bedded in, they're very good.

Previously on my 9000 I ran Trent Group N's and DS2500 like Bill. I haven't tried the Abbott ones but I doubt there's much between them- except price!

Best performance vs value therefore is probably to buy a set of Group N discs from Trent (About £200 + VAT IIRC) and a set of DS2500s from an indy shop (one below) part no FCP256H. To improve on this you'd have to change calipers and go for bigger discs. Whilst you're at it, I'd also recommend upgrading the rears to DS2500 as well, for about £55. Part no FCP296H.

For out and out value though I think you'll find it hard to beat the ATE power discs at about £80 plus VAT and Pagid pads at about £65 plus VAT.

HTH
[edit]
forgot the address of the supplier for DS2500

Circuit Supplies ltd
Unit 22, Harmill Industrial Estate, Grovebury Road, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, LU7 8FF.
Tel: (01525) 385888

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I agree the 9000 especially in aero trim has pants brakes
I have attempted to increase braking by putting on the 40 groove tar-ox discs with mintex pads
result... silky pants..better but not right (but they look good !!)
so I have been scouring the net for a better option preferably big disc conversion
and have found a company who will do a 325 disc conversion with alloy calipers for under a grand
www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk is the website
the only other option is the ap racing at 1400 plus vat I believe..
although abbott will do an inbetweenie for about a grand as well.
less expensive alternates are the trent gray iron discs (good reports )but very dusty
and the cheapest one which might be worth a punt is german swedish and french car parts are doing brembo discs for about £30 each

your choice !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am running Black Diamond Drilled and grooved front disks part no KBD250 on my 9000 Aero price £120 + vat with Pagid Fast Road Pads part no FR1052 price £42 plus vat. Both were sourced from Motorsport World. They are a bit noisy but seem more fade resistant than the Abbott Mintex combo I had previously.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Can anyone suggest a supplier of ATE products in the UK? Have looked at their website and not even an 'e' mail address?  [/b]
Euro Car Parts stock them. IIRC the power disks are listed as an accessory not in the brakes section.

FWIW I'm running the C900 on new standard ATE disks front and rear with Pagid pads all round (standard rear/ fast road front) and they stop v. fast. Just fitted a set of Pagid's fast roads (from Elkparts at about £65 per axel set inc VAT) at the front on the 9000. Still bedding in but should be good if like my other set.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everyone

I'm glad I was not the only one with this problem, although living in Milton Keynes does not help! especially against an Audi S3, could out accelerate it, but was not able to out brake it!
The disks on my car are still quite good,but my pads are on their way out, so I think i'll try the mintex pads first, then when the disks are on their way out I'll have to try some of the combo's suggested.

Regards
Tony

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Euro Car Parts stock them. IIRC the power disks are listed as an accessory not in the brakes section.[/b]
Found them - Many thanks and although running a GM900T think I will give them a try as my standard discs are now well worn at the front. Have tried Europarts cheapies on my previous 9000T and wasn't over impressed.(slight discrepencies in dimensions) Seem to remember somehwere that saabscene members can also ask for discount at Europarts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.