Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys this may sound grazy however hear me out.I have 2 mths ago fitted the Bilstien 40 mm lower kit to my 98 9000 Anni. (supplied by the nice man at Elk parts) Wow what a differance.Handling is great looks fab too
. However I do have a little problem the brakes don't quite feel like they used too.(I'm running pagid fast road pads all round)the pedal is as hard as normal but the brakes do not seem to bite as well as they used too.I was wondering if this has anything too do with the brake bias?

As the suspension has dropped from stock.Does the braking system thing that the car is now loaded? and is alowing the rear brakes to work harder.Thus the strange feeling I am receiving at the moment.She doesn't seem to dip under braking at the front anymore not sure if this is due to the brakes or the suspension or both!!
Had a similar experince with an Astra van they have the curly spring contraption on top of the rear axle which need adjusting when I strentghened the back springs.

I hope you guys can help its a very uneasy feeling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi rughead,
Sounds feasable that the car thinks it is laiden but not in the know on the brake bias on cars but the curly spring thing is a load sensor, i.e the same type of set up they use on lorry trailers supposedly to stop an empty trailer from locking up and jack knifing.
As I say not had any dealings on cars so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
696 Posts
There isn't a load sensor on ABS equipped cars. So you don't need to adjust it.
Less diving is probably due to stiffer front springs.
To me ist logical the feeling is different cause of the bilstein kit. But the braking will be the same.

BTW how is the bilstein kit. I'm thinking about it for almost 5 months now?? But have not yet decided.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
In my experience the Pagid FRs need a bit of heat in them to reach their full friction coefficient- does it happen the same when they're warmed up?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]In my experience the Pagid FRs need a bit of heat in them to reach their full friction coefficient- does it happen the same when they're warmed up? [/qb][/b]
I'm running Pagids with ATE discs on mine at present, I do find that they need a few uses to acheive full efficiency. Once warmed up they stop the car very well!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Ditto

I use Pagid fast road's with ATE Powerdiscs and they definitely bite better when used a bit harder but I have never felt uncomfortable at low speeds with them.

Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
In answer to Injectie's question about the bilstein kit, I've had mine fitted for almost a year now, the car handles a lot better, it is a lot firmer than standard but still rides ok on 17" wheels. My only criticism is that with 4 adults and their luggage the rear tends to bottom out over speed bumps.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have some (unused) assisters that will stop your suspension from bottoming out if you are interested in them. They are designed for towing and heavy loads, but are surplus to my requirements. I think Bubbles will confirm that he uses them to good effect with his set-up as it was him that recommended their purchase to me. Private Message me if you are interested - they are not expensive.

I didn't notice any change in braking when I changed my suspension set-up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks will send you a message, forgot to mention, having replaced the tired original suspension my car was much faster for a given level of effort / passenger discomfort, is it possible you're just stopping from higher speeds?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys
Some interesting fed back.Just to let you know that I used to run EBC green stuff before the suspension drop. I rated them much better than the Pajid,I could feel them biting more and more as they heated up(they where [expletive deleted] when cold though)I am Running them on black Diamond groved and drilled front discs and stock rear discs.

The brakes feel great at low normal speed driving and even ok from 40 to a stop in an emergency brake situ.
Its when I am trying to stop from 80+ when in the twisted bits on the country roads. seems more aparent when the ground is damp too
(I have Goodyear F1's alround new 4 months ago however the N/S/F inner edge is starting to wear more than the outer edge it is down to 5mm!
the outer edge is 6mm the.
The O/S/F wheel is still at 7mm all over could this be compounding my problem ??.

The bilstien kit is great looks fab . its a bit bumpy doesn't rattle your teeth however you do feel like a nooding dog on undulating roads.And its not the most idea if you carry 4 passengers regularly.With that in mind the handling is great
Probably too great as I'm more confident now and the speed's I travel at have gone up a bit hence the noticing of the brakes more.(its a good job in some respects as this is the only reason I back off some times )

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Rughead,
I've found that the N/S front wears a bit quicker than the O/S, I put it down to enjoying roundabouts a bit too much. Seriously though, get the tracking checked just to be sure. Don't worry too much about the rate of treadwear after four months, it calms down quite a bit as the tread blocks shorten and the tyre compound hardens a little with more heat-cycles in them , so that for instance, you'll get many more miles out of the last 2mm of (legal)tread than the first 2mm.
I've got around 15k miles out of my F1's on the front and the rears seem to last forever
Nick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi nick

The hardening of the compound sounds about right as the grip has been quite poor as of late compared with new (especialy in the wet)I have switched the front to the back to see if that makes and differance.

Wow what a differance the grip in the wet is amazing again!and the brakes feel better now too they do not give that uneasy feeling when stopping hard at speed the steering feels a lot sharper and there is a lot more feed back through the wheel.

I will get the tracking laser checked soon, now that she Has been lowered and the suspension has settled in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts