Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's what's going on, Since I got a slave cylinder replaced on my 1992 Saab 9000 CD the brakes make horrible scraping noises the first couple times braking and then it appears to subside, however braking power is greatly reduced. I figured the pads on the front were worn, but recently I went to add some windsheild washer fluid and noticed that my brake fluid resevoir was almost full
I havnt had the time to remove the wheel yet to visually inspect the brakes, but could worn pads cause all fluid to retreat to the resevoir? I dont really know how brakes work...when the calipers are depressed do they send more fluid to the resevoir? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
It's the other way round! As the pads wear the fluid level should drop. You shouldn't top up the reservoir because, if you do, when you press in the brake pistons to fit new pads the fluid level will rise again and could spill over onto the paint and strip it!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Yes.. when fluid warms up due to braking, it will expand. If level in reservoir is higher than 'MAX' mark, it could leak out. Being highly corrosive (mainly on paint) it is best avoiding any leaks!

Just remove cap and suck out excess using a clean 'basting' type syringe.

Sounds like you haven't had any leaks yet.. but if your braking efficiency has dropped recently, you may need new pads ASAP. The garage that replaces the new pads will need to draw off the excess brake fluid first - otherwise, whe nthe pistons are pushed back to accomodate the new pads, the brake fluid will rise and overflow the reservoir.

If you haven't had brake fluid changed in past 3 years (manuals states 2), then probably easiest to get the garage to change all your brake fluid at time of replacing any pads.

If your front pads are so low they there is metal to metal contact, you may need new disks too - and need to fix this ASAP!!

HTH's,
Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will completely worn pads throw the TCS and ABS Warning lights? Will an overfilled resevoir trigger this?

Ive always had an intermitent problem where the ABS and TCS warning lights pop on...usually 1 in 20 trips, now it seems to be staying on, once the car hits the road it turns on and stays on...

Im hoping someone will say that worn pads will throw warning lights...please say worn pads will throw a warning light...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I'd go about a third of the way to meeting you. If the pads on one side are on the metal and not gripping the same as the other side, then the ABS light might come on.

But, could it be an ABS wheel sensor fault instead/as well?

Either way, metal to metal noises usually mean new brake pads, and probably scored discs/rotors. Get them sorted first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.