Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want better brakes.
As a biker it is relatively easy to get a major increase in brake performance by:
1) Fitting cast iron discs (rust like mad)
2) Fit stainless steel braided hose
3) Fit high performance pads, I use EBC H-H pads on my bike which gave a big improvement.

Is it possible to get similar parts for the 9k?

Whats the most cost effective (cheap) way to get an improvement?
The cast iron discs make a big improvement over the pretty, but [expletive deleted], stainless ones that come as standard on most bikes. They rust realy quick in wet weather if the bikes not been used and need run regularly.

I find I'm relying on the brakes a lot more on my automatic than my previous manual car. I find the lack of engine braking really annoying, especially since it's costing me money in wasted fuel ie braking = converting petrol into hot brakes.
Any experiences folks?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Firstly, the discs on cars are normally cast iron anyway, although you can get an improvement by going to better quality. The Brembo OEM replacments come highly recommended from a number of users. Grooves can help as well, but can make braking a little noisier.

Upgraded pads will make a big difference. Ferodo DS2500 are very effective, even from cold. Pagid Fast Road are almost as good, needing a little bit of heat in them in my experience to get max braking.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Changed from standard brakes to Brembo / Pagid fast road all round recently.
Scarily bad during run in, but now massively better than what I had even when cold. When they are hot they are miles better and I think you can do the whole lot for less than 200.
Oh - prepare for lots more brake dust and the odd squeel.
If I was spending more, I'd go for the Ferodos mentioned.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help folks. I think I'll try uprated pads first. I always thought only bikes has pads costing this much money. Must be the going rate for high spec stoppers. Mind you the bike ones are only 4mm thick when new.

Didn't know cars had iron discs as standard, makes sense as they are not exactly cosmentic like the way they are on a bike. They certainly don't attract corrosion the way my bike ones do. But then, they are out of the rain a bit more and only get wet when you are moving/ using them.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I'd recommend Pagid FR pads, I find my current set a bit more user-friendly and much less messy (as in dust) than the Ferodo DS-series pads. I'm using ATE Power discs on the front which are grooved and these are very fade resitant.

But I've had the the Brembo discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads on a previous car and they do seem to offer greater bite.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've got Black Diamond (grooved) discs and Pagid pads. They're truely awful while bedding in, but much better than stock afterwards.

My front discs seem to be developing a lip quite quickly, though (less than 10K miles). Is this to be expected?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.