Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the details of Abbott's 308mm brake conversion?? I seem to recall discussing it a while back and being told it was based on the Viggen brakes, but exactly what that means, I don't know.

Obviously I'm thinking along the lines of looking out for a prematurely demised Viggen and saving a pound or three over Abbott's £999 + VAT. On the other hand there's not much point doing this if the Abbott kit includes some custom made brackets, or indeed custom discs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
All I know is that it includes the Viggen calipers. The discs would have to be custom, as the 9000 has a four-hole wheelbolt pattern, as opposed to the 9-3's five-hole pattern. I expect custom brackets would be involved, although there are none in evidence in the photo on their website.

How easy would it be to find a scrapped Viggen still complete with calipers? I imagine many 9-3 owners will be ahead of you in the queue.

Then again, Abbott would be daft to refuse to sell you the rest of the parts and lose a sale. Giles always seems to smell a sale a mile off

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]cheapest bigbrake conversion I have found...
www.godspeed.co.uk
really like the sound of the porsche ones under a bag of sand..    [/qb][/b]
Couldn't get that link to work..
But this does God Speed
Are you using godspeed brakes ylee?
Still deciding on options for my 9-5... easiest option would be to fit the Aero front brakes, but would like to see all alternatives first!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Didn't know the Viggen brakes were same as the 9-5 Aero.....I know when Giles told me about this Abbott kit (just before they appeared for sale) he said they were based on the 9-5 Aero front units.
Have to say, I still fancy 4-pots, but that means 17" or even 18" wheels, or does it...
Keep meaning to e-mail Nordic Tuning as they list a 295mmm dia disc kit as well as the 330mm dia kit. If the Abbott kit with a 9-5 Aero caliper on a 308 disc fits within the standard 16" Aero wheels, then I would say the Nordic Tuning kit with an AP-4pot caliper on a smaller 295mm dia disc would fit within the standard 16" Aero wheels as well.

http://nordictuning.com/saabtuning/9000/

But as has been mentioned above, the Godspeed stuff is good, provided that they can supply with Saab fittings...anybody enquired yet...???

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]If the Abbott kit with a 9-5 Aero caliper on a 308 disc fits within the standard 16" Aero wheels, then I would say the Nordic Tuning kit with an AP-4pot caliper on a smaller 295mm dia disc would fit within the standard 16" Aero wheels as well.
[/qb][/b]
Hmm... not so sure. The problem with the AP 4 pot kit is the overall size of the caliper- particularly it's width. You need a significantly increased amount of clearance between the face of the hub and the back face of the wheel to fit them in because (forgive me for stating the obvious here) unlike the stock calipers, they are not floating and have an outboard as well as an inboard piston (well, 2 actually!). It's having these outboard pistons that significantly increases the width of the caliper. Not all 17" wheels will accommodate the AP's because of this.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Oh, I forgot to comment that the Godspeed calipers are steel, not aluminium. The problem wiht this is that you will significantly increase the unsprung weight, which will have a negative effect on handling. Given that most people going for AP's also aim to to track days, I'm not so sure this is a good idea...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Ylee,
I see what you mean about the Porker/Brembo ones.....hmmnnn........

Have to say I'd rather have 'normal' ally AP/Brembo/Wilwood calipers, for roughly the same price......The words Porsche on a Saab I think would look a bit naff.....

My vote goes to the 308mm dia/Brembo 4-pot ally caliper kit for £800 from Godspeed....might just fit within most 17" aftermarket wheels with a bit of luck.......

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Just looked up the Godspeed website and the prices for the alloy 4-pot caliper kits have gone up drastically since 3 weeks ago.....
The 308mm Brembo caliper kit that was £800 3 weeks ago is now £1000........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.