Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im slightly worried about the brake on my 91 9000 xs, i recently(a week ago) had the clutch replaced(faulty slave cylinder) as it decided to die on me whilst waiting to get on the ferry at dover. I got it fixed and drove to prague having great fun along the autobahn's, there was no problem with the brakes on the trip, where i had to regularly brake from 120mph to 50mph because of speed restrictions in germany. Now ive got back they seem to be acting odd, sometimes i will push the brake and the pedal will not move very far before it gets hard and the car starts to brake, other times i will have to push the pedal much further for the same braking, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, it doesnt seem to be loosing brake fluid atleast not a very noticeable amount if it is.
thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well taken the wheel off and the brake disc was loose, so thats why the brake pedal felt odd, but now the same wheel makes a grinding noise when i spin it, seems like it might be a wheel bearing, anyone know how much it would cost to fix it?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The disc is clamped in place by the wheel bolts, so even if it's loose with the wheel off, with the wheel on it can't move. Perhaps you have a different problem.

Oh, welcome to SaabScene by the way.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I reckon the brake problem is caused by the worn wheel bearing. The wear allows the wheel and the disc to run off true or wobble. This run out at the disc bears against the pads and hence knocks the piston back into the caliper so that the next time you brake you experience more travel at the pedal. It will be intermittent because two braking events within a short distance might not allow the pistons to be pushed back much and driving on a motorway/dual carriageway won't require much turning of the steering wheel so the wheels might run true for long distances.
Whatever, I'm fairly sure it is the wheel bearing that is the problem especially since you say the wheel makes a noise when you spin it. New bearings require hub replacement, around about £70 from Eurocarparts or German,French & Swedish and it is a relatively easy job.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah it was the wheel bearing, it fell apart as soon as i took the disc off, managed to get a replacement and fit it within about 2 hours, only trouble was finding a 7mm alan key as these dont come in normal sets of alan keys, had to ask for a ford brake caliper key,
thanks for the replys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.