pagid fr1052(performance?) £65
red dot xf2505 (fast road) £35
red dot xf2505 (competition) £55

Any others? Reasonable cost......
Suggestions...........

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Ferodo DS2500 circa 50 to 70 pounds (TSL) Excellent pad on the 9K...
Mintex 1444 or something.. (I believe they're also very good.. have them on the rear of the 9000.. but I guess you really only notice the fronts..)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Several people including myself tried the Greenstuff pads. They may work on other cars, but not on a 9000. They started off mediocre (on new discs all round) and got worse and worse. Thanks to recommendations on this board I got Mintex C-Tech 1144 pads. A monumental improvement over standard and Greenstuff.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The DS2500 are specified for Ferrari and BMW M3. They need slight filing of the backplate to fit if you don't get them from Trent Saab (and in my case, sometimes even if you do get them from Trent). They're a lot cheaper elsewhere.

See

here for a discussion.

The Mintex pads are M1144 compound and they are available for both front and rear.

I and others have found GreenStuff to be abominable on the 9000. I too was attracted by the claims of less dust. However, like the other aspects of performance, this goes downhill after 1000 miles or so and end up being as dusty as the standard pads. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone for a 9000, as they become positively dangerous after a while.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking for road use, but soon to be modified carlsson fast road use........

(depending, of course, on the better half. Who thinks she wants a new car....in reality she is misguided. What she really wants is a modified carlsson. )
Has anyone one heard of the red dot. I have heard nothing, but with a name like that possibly the nova brigade might.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've used Axxis or PBR (formerly Repco) Deluxe pads for 30 years and they are excellent. Low dust, no noise, excellent life (50k front, 70k rear for me), and perform very well in a non-racing environment (i.e., no repeated panic stops).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I've been using the Pagid Fast Road on the front of the 9000 (OE on the rears) for a couple of thousand miles now and they are pretty impressive. I've also had them on the front of the C900 combined with Pagid's standard ones on the back and that car really stops quick
. Haven't tried the other brands tho'.

Be prepared for some brake squeak whichever perfomance pad you go for: it seems to be a "feature"

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I'm currently using Pagid FR pads on the front of mine with ATE Power discs (Swirl grooved), pretty potent stopping power, don't take too long to warm up, not too much dust and fairly cheap as well.

Previously I ran DS2500's on my Carlsson and they were very aggressive and stopping power was very strong but they produced a lot od dust and were knackered after 8K miles. Not the cheapest either!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
BillJ: Yes, that's me, the Bar's Leaks cheerleader. It's still working for me, but I did have a thermostat failure (stuck open) about last September, the first on any of the five Saabs I've owned.

Odd, but my '66 Corvette's original 'stat also failed last year. Yes, it was 36 year old, and I've been using BL in it for 20 years.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently sorted the front brakes on me M95 Aero with a combination of Brembo discs and Ferodo pads. I was unable to get hold of any DS2500 (FCP256H) pads due to supply difficulties but got hold of some older compound pads 3466 (FCP256A) cheap from Demon Tweeks - £29.99 + Del + VAT.

Now that they're run in they offer good stopping power, much better than standard, with nice pedal feel. However, dust is a problem...but you rarely get owt for nowt in this world

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Davis:
[qb]It's still working for me, but I did have a thermostat failure (stuck open) about last September, the first on any of the five Saabs I've owned.[/qb][/b]
Nice to see you here. We'll allow one failure

Anyway, on the subject of dust, the DS2500 pads do generate a lot of dust, but so do the standard Saab pads. You'd think that Saab would have avoided it if they could.

After my experience with GreenStuff, I decided braking performance was more important to me than dust.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks to everyone of the caveat for the EBC green pads! I had considered the Brembo Cross Drilled rotors, stainless lines and a set of the the EBC's. I need something with more metallic content than stock that's for sure. Should stop the brake dust problem on this car as it has other cars in the past. If anyone has recommendations specifically for the 9000, please let me know. With the auto the brakes will be one of the first things I need to upgrade.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque-Steer):
[qb]Previously I ran DS2500's on my Carlsson and they were very aggressive and stopping power was very strong but they produced a lot od dust and were knackered after 8K miles. Not the cheapest either!! [/qb][/b]
Yes, but I've found that DS2500 dust is easier than most to remove, as long as it's not left too long!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.