Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you guys running on upgraded pads normally do with them?
I'm currently running ferodo DS2000 on advice of my supplier. But now after only 4000 miles. The brake pads front and rear are already worn down to half their original size.

I drive a 9k 2.3i Auto.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Performance pads rarely last long. Some last quite a while. Like the EBC Yellow stuff pads. But most are designed for grip rather than longevity.

My factory pads lasted about 28K miles ... and the new SP Graphite Kevlar pads have gone about 6K and don't show any significant reduction in size. That's saying quite a lot since my discs are now slotted AND cross drilled. But the pads aren't the best on the market, only slightly upgraded from stock. Still good grip though!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Performance brake pads are similar to good performance tires. To get the better fricition, the compound can be quite soft and wear out quicker. Although, some performance pads have higher metallic content and therefore really bite into the discs and wear out the discs just as fast or even faster than the pads.

And, as you may imagine, driving style can affect brake life quite a bit. I installed some front pads in March nad had them finished off by late September. Will driving numerous laps at the Ring have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect so. As i installed mine in August just before a got aknowledged with "The Ring".
Spoke to my supplier today. The representive of Ferodo Sugested he got me the wrong type of pads for me. I'm getting new pads now with a nice discount. And they will be Ferodo DS2500 this time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts