Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have discussed ths before and the choice is beteen DOT 4 and DOT 5.1
but does anyone know a good source for bulk 5.1 ?

I will be changing my brakes/fluid for anglesey..

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I got my DOT 5.1 from Steve at Howe-Engineering - but I suspect any good motor factors will be able to supply - maybe even Halfords?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Demon Tweeks have several brands of DOT5.1. Delivery usually takes a day or two. I bought mine locally from Circuit Supplies for about 8 squid a litre- they also do mail order.

You can get 1l bottles form Halfords; can't remember how much though

·
Registered
968 Posts
Slightly off the subject (please delete post if needed), but what method do you chaps use for a fluid change...

Do you use an easybleed (attaches to a tyre for presure) and just feed through the new stuff, or do you bleed out ALL the old fluid first with the presure bleed??

Or do you do something totally different??
ta Anthony

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I use the EZ-Bleed and just keep going until the fluid runs clear. Were you suggesting filling the system with air, then bleeding it all out again? I prefer not to get air in as it's more dangerous to have a small amount of air in there than a small amount of old fluid.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]I use the EZ-Bleed and just keep going until the fluid runs clear. Were you suggesting filling the system with air, then bleeding it all out again? I prefer not to get air in as it's more dangerous to have a small amount of air in there than a small amount of old fluid. [/qb][/b]
Thanks Bill, thats great. I want to do a fluid change but was unsure of how. Is there a sequence of which corner of the car to first etc..

Also, should I use DOT5.1. I dont know what is in the car as I have never changed the brake fluid and the service report just says Fluid change.. Will it matter if its DOT4 and I use DOT 5.1.

thanks in advance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts