Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this topic, Aeroguy mentions failures after brake fluid changes.

DOT4 fluid is not up to the job, so I think I should go for DOT5.1 (not DOT5 which is silicone based and is incompatible)

Can I have some advice from the honourable members of Saabscene who have firsthand experience of changing from DOT4 to DOT5.1, please.

What fluid do you use?

(I need bigger brakes, too)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just used whatever 5.1 stuff that was in the shop, I bought a Guyson brake bleeder kit off ebay which uses compress air from the spare tyre to push the fluid thru, one man job easy to do. No seal failures!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I've used a variety of brands of DOT 5.1 with no problems what so ever.

I tend towards a big name brand, I've found Lockheed a few times, but it can be a bit tricky to find, so as long as it meets DOT 5.1 I'm happy.

P.S. You'll have to try hard to cook DOT 5.1. If you really manage to do this, you might consider changing it every year instead of the normal every two years, so you change it before much water has been absorbed. Also, remember that most of the moisture is absorbed through the flexible brake hoses (yes I know it sounds odd, but it's true), and using Goodridge/Aeroquip type hoses reduces the rate of moisture absorption dramatically.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
DOT5.1 and DOT4 are compatible, so there are no special precautions to take when changing over- it just simply requires a flush through like any normal brake fluid change.

I have managed to cook (well, boil) DOT5.1- last year at Anglesey
but it was about 18 months old and had done another track day. I have Goodridge hoses all round.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Looks like a policy of annual changes might be appropriate! Or possible some cooling ducts to the front brakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts