Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ola chaps,

Quick question.....does anyone else in this forum suffer from considerable brake fade on their 9000 turbos?

I tend to drive my car fairly hard a couple of times a week (to clear out the cobwebs ) and have found the brake fade to be more than noticeable.

The brakes are standard and I'm putting power down somewhere in the region of 250 bhp so I would've thought the standard brakes would be up to the job?

Are Saabs such as mine (9000 CD Carlsson 90 H) prone to such probs, or would you think that the standard brakes are just struggling to cope with the power increase?

Any comments would be appreciated, cheers

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Hi Dave,

I have an Auto equipped 92 Griffin, and I couldn't live with the wooden brakes that it had. So I upgraded them. Much better now and far less fade. There is a lot of discussion on these boards about brakes for the 9000, so clearly it's a hot topic amongst 9000 drivers.. you are not alone!

Have a wee search through the boards for braking topics.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mark A, I'll have to dig up some old forum topics.

Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]When you say brake fade, do you mean pad fade due to excess pad/disc temperature but with the pedal still firm, or fluid boiling giving you a spongy pedal? [/qb][/b]
I would definitely say that it's disc/pad temperature related. Doesn't feel like there's a problem with the braking system as such, just that under hard driving the fade on the breaks can be quite pronounced!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Different cars have different feel to their brakes, I've just completly done the brakes on my carlsson and Aero with the same pads (although the carly had skimmed disks while the Aero got new), and they both feel completly different.

The Aero has aggressive bite and ferocious stopping

The Carly needs a good push to get them going.

Supposably they are the same.

Andrew

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think it's fair to say that it is generally acknowledged that the standard brakes on a 9000, regardless of variant, are not equally matched to the power output or weight when pushed hard.

The steps to improve this, in rough order of cost/complexity are:

1. Better pads
2. Better discs (same size as OE but grooved/higher grade iron)
3. Bigger discs and calipers

Ferodo DS2500 pads have been found to offer a significant improvement with both standard and modified discs part nos IIRC are FCP 296H & FCP 256H. A search will confirm this.

Other "performance" pads that have been recommended here include Pagid fast road and Mintex C1144.

The only "performance" pad that I would not recommend (and others concur) is EBC Greenstuff, which appears to be more suited to lighter vehicles.
will suffer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts