Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, efcbluepete.
Haynes only specifies the minimum thickness after regrind, which is 23.5mm (they start out at 25mm). Presumably, they can be a bit thinner than this (they'll continue to wear after regrinding). Say 22mm at a guess?

Minimum pad thickness is 4mm.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I am going to check mine with a micrometer on my GM900ST when I replace with ATE discs tomorrow - there is a distictive ridge all around the outside of the disc - look very worn to me.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Haynes only specifies the minimum thickness after regrind, which is 23.5mm (they start out at 25mm). Presumably, they can be a bit thinner than this (they'll continue to wear after regrinding). Say 22mm at a guess?[/b]
Haynes further confuses the issue by stating that a max of 1mm can be ground of each side.
The new discs I fitted last week say "Minimum thickness 23mm"

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Derek:
[qb]Haynes further confuses the issue by stating that a max of 1mm can be ground of each side.[/qb][/b]
I presume that means that you can reduce the total thickness by 1.5mm, but can't take more than 1mm off either face. So 0.75mm off each side would be fine, as would 1mm off one side and 0.5mm off the other. However, 1.25mm off one side and 0.25mm off the other would be a no-no.

I'd forgotten that the discs usually have the minimum thickness stamped on the edge

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, disks fine, pads fine... maybe I'm just used to my wife's 6 month old Honda (very easy to stop). Just feels like I am having to push too hard to stop/slow. Will take advice of other post regarding brake bleeding (wanted to do it today, but no time! Wil probably do it next weekend when I remove the broken exhaust manifold stud I found yesterday.)

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The 9000 is a big old bus to stop... and many report the standard brakes to be not as sharp as they would like.

Changing the fluid will probably help, then you may want to consider a pad upgrade.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've also found many aftermarket discs to perform pretty poorly even with genuine pads. Not all discs are the same. For price/performance, I haven't found anything better than Brembo standard replacements. These are the same as Trent Saab sell with their "Group N" kit, but can be bought much more cheaply elsewhere (I bought the last lot from German & Swedish).

A set is going on my dad's 9000 shortly - I replaced the discs a year ago with cheap aftermarket items and the brakes have been really poor ever since. I should have known better - the same happened with my Aero a couple of years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.