Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if anyone has posted this before but the BP Ultimate has arrived here in sunny Bournemouth at Safeway on Castle Lane. I put about £35 in the Carlsson on Saturday and cannot believe the transformation.
Smoother power delivery, boost holds about a third into the red in 3rd, 4th and 5th (this is a stock car with just the red box APC). I have only achieved more than this with the Abbott Boost Valve fitted.

I am finding it much better for reponse and smoothness over even the Shell Optimax. i had been experiencing some problems with the onset of the colder damper weather.

Has anyone else tried it yet? Is my initial delight to be tainted by problems?

The only drawback was 84.9p per litre, a good 10p more than regular unleaded. Still the
makes up for it.

I think this weekend calls for an adaptation run!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi

It has arrived in Manchester too! I considered swopping from Optimax 2 days ago but thought I'd do some web trawling first to see others' opinions. Thing is that I'm not sure if I notice a real difference in Optimax over regular 95Ron on my n/a 2.0. Does it give performance benefits for Saabs or just for E reg Orion 1.6i's with 120K on the clock with blocked injectors??? I read somewhere that higher octane makes little difference to power unless you mess with the timing. I'm curious about BP Ultimate and given your feedback, will give it a go and hope for a bit more
Will post findings?

Cheers
Al

·
Registered
451 Posts
Didn't notice any real difference with Optimax in my T16swith bosch inj/ign

Ultimate and Sainsburys SUL both boost higher and run cooler, and give better MPG (only just) than Optimax, infact sainsbury's normal unleaded doesn't give much less of either boost or MPG.

But I've found that BP super unleaded and Sainsburys super unleaded go really well in mine.

And I've been informed that Sainsburys buy their fuel from BP exlcusively, and Super is 79.9 a litre at the nearest one to me stocking it.

Does that mean Sainsburys will be selling ultimate as SUL?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the big thing is that the APC system can adjust the timing because the knock sensor is not sending a signal back to the APC box. APC is obviously on turbo's only so the 2.0 n/a car probably won't benefit too much. You might find it feels smoother but that will be about it.
As for the Sainsbury's thing, don't the supermarkets add their own additives even though they buy fuel from the oil companies. I thought that was the main reason they could sell so much cheaper. The Ultimate at the BP garage has replaced the Super Unleaded so we can but hope it will happen at Sainsburys too.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is an article coming up soon in Autocar magazine on the so called super fuels of Shell and BP, should make interesting reading.

·
Registered
382 Posts
sainsburys buy their fuel on the spot market. they do not buy from any one company, unless the company has agreed to sell below spot to sainsbury. profit comes before most things.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have started using BP Ultimate, I was using BP super-unleaded before now, the ONE pump that has it at my local garage (out of 24 pumps! and the one Super pump normally has a lorry in front of it becuase it's nearest to the roadside, sorry, rant over ) has now change to Ultimate.

I think I get slightly better mpg, and when I boot it it did feel slightly better, but how much of that is due to the denser Autumn air!

Skiddins

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
After reading this thread, I gave Ultimate a go today. Only snag is that I deceided to fill up just as it went up by 1 pence a liter overnight at my local BP garage . I did 110 miles on Sainsbury unleaded last Wednesday. Today I did the same route on Ultimate. Results? I get one extra mile per gallon on the SID. Performance wise it's hard to say however. Mind you I did make fools of a 911 turbo and a S3 on the M1 this morning. But I wouldn't put that down to the fuel...
I'll do a re-check on the results when it's time to refill and report my findings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi

I was always one for paying the extra and feeling the difference! When i first upgraded my car via Abbott and brought it home, it was soon time for a refuel. The car had been running on some Norwich unleaded and I refuelled with Opti, there was clearly a difference because the boost increased enough for the overboost fuel cut off switch to come in! I soon bypassed this system all together when the car was tuned further.

However, now im not so sure, and after running opti(@98 RON), unleaded (@95 RON) and just now the super Ultima BP stuff quoted @ 100 RON theres nothing to keep them apart in my own mind. Maybe ive just become insensitive to it now. The car could be in need of a tune up.

Recent power engineering rolling road gave positive results from my ex LPT AERO. Rollers showed 207 BHP and 232 ft/lbs @ 5040 RPM

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have just tried Ultimate - last two or three fill ups, changing from Optimax - may be imagination or a change is as good as a rest thing but I think it feels better than Optimax - will keep testing. Running a Speedparts upgrade, 3" non cat JT front pipe and JR filter on a GM 900 turbo.

Mike

·
Registered
454 Posts
On my second tank of Ultimate Diesel, its put in a Passat 1.9 TDI 130Bhp and can't tell any difference yet but not been on any of my usual trips yet, MPG is 50 ish which is normal.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I filled up with Ultimate again this morning, before heading up North for a meeting. I did not expect to get back till tomorrow evening, but I somehow managed to get there and back far quicker than planned
. I did try it for the Tring meet as well , but I'll reserve final judgement untill I have done about 1000 miles worth of travelling with Ultimate. Now, 600 today and 130 last Sunday gives 730. Hmmm, 270 to go...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts