Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a cheap calibrated boost guage today (spending part of my planned redundo money).

show from -15lb to +30lb in single lb increments. Made by MOCAL, black faced TBG30.

Down side is i can't be zero'd and sits at between -0.5 and -1 when disconnected so I'll need to remove the front to zero.

I did a quick 5 mile run in both the Carly and Aero to get a baseline feel for the 2.

Figures are:-

Carlsson Aero
Idle -10 -10
Overrun -13 -12.5
Continuous boost +16 +14.5
Peak boost +19.5 +16.

Surprising figures as the aero pulls so much better..... The Aero used to pull +16 and generated 248.5 bhp/310ftlb, so what's the Carly kicking out???

I will say that I treated the carly to some BP Super Unleaded in the lakes at the weekend so is runnig a bit better that normal.

More tests to come.

Andrew

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bear in mind it may actually be at zero at 1 BAr of air pressure but air pressure changes day to day so leave it alone.

Boost isn't important, air flow is.

Thats why you get cars making 900 bhp from 3PSI of boost etc.

Chris

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hmm, probably less, as you say

Surprising figures as the aero pulls so much better.....  [/b]
The Aero probably has a smoother engine with less internal mechanical restistance so more fuel/air is turned into power. It's how I justify the fact that mines sooo bloody quick, being as it has no "readily apparent" mods.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here its is..(erm corrected now...) You can even see my fingerprints on the glass, I could never make it as a thief.

Aim now to get the aero boosting like the carly.

Andrew.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aim now to get the aero boosting like the carly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chuffin' 'eck. Having driven the Aero, how quick is the Carly?  [/b]
Well it's quicker than when it had an old cat and 95 octane fuel

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the carly for a good run today with the gauge installed with velco by the speaker grill

warm sunny day, over 13c.

Boost was peaking at 17.5 psi
Then dropping to a steadish 15 psi from 2250 to 4500 rpm (15.5 @ 3000rpm).
from 4500rpm the boost starts to drop off and by 5800rpm the bost is down to 7 psi.

This fall is quite dramatic, is the APC tailing off boost or the turbo just not able to supply enough air?

I think this is why the aero is so much quicker, it's boost doesn't tail like this, but I'll check properly soon.

Andrew

PS. while testing I went past a mobile speed camera van sitting on a dual carriage way bridge aligned with the other carraige way. I hope that means thats the only way he was looking. I couldn't see at the windows were mirrored/tinted.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My Aero boost tails off from 14.8 psi to 10.5 psi at the top end and its running a MBC, so either it's a function of the way turbo engines tend to run or as ERP suggests in another thread the engine management realises there is no feedback from the APC solenoid and retards the ignition to reduce output.

Nick.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've sorted my mobile diagnostic boost gauge.

I've T'd the boost pipe just as it goes into the dash guage, fed the pipe betwwen the tweeter and woofer, out though the side cutout in the speaker grill and up the behind the A-pillar cover, coming out in a 3 inch blanked off spur whcih can be tucked back into the a pillar.

I've done this on both the Carly and Aero.

Next I got some black stick on velco (can you see where I'm going...)

I've stuck a 1 inch piece of the furry side to the top of the dash by the rear left of the speaker grill and wrapped the guage in the spiky side.

So now I have a mobile test guage (which seems to always be in the car I'm driving
) which stays where it's put.

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts