Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a standard 1993 9000 cs aero so can somebody tell me how far the turbo boost gauge should travel on full power,by that i mean 50mph 3rd gear foot to the floor? it would be interesting to see how far off the red zone a standard aero is. having previously owned a cd 2.3 carlsson that flew into the red zone all the time i hope you standard cs aero owners can share your results with me because im sure mine should boost further up the gauge.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
On a standard manual aero the needle will probably only make it about 1/4 of the way into the solid red.

Peak max boost is rated at 1.08 bar.

Different models and years seem to have guages calibrated differently.

Even my Stg3 only make it to the end of the red.

Andrew

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's intresting then? mine makes it up to about 4mm (1/8th of an inch) of the red zone,not even touching the red slash marks on the gauge.why is this? the car feels quick enough,and,as we all know,as few german drivers have found out what these cars are capable of,so why does it not give me the surge like my old cd carlsson give? is it because its a different engine? p.s i did notice the difference in harshness of the engine compared to 1990-cd carlsson..

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Aerojod,
I previously owned a 2.0 CD Carlsson and agree that the 'surge' was more pronounced with the CD. The CD has a T25 turbo which is smaller and spools up earlier than the Aero's Mitsubishi unit which takes a little longer to get up and going but on the other hand hangs on for longer at the top end. I always felt that the CD was all in at 4500rpm and breathless whereas the Aero just keeps going in comparison.
The longer gearing also takes some getting used to with the Aero...
Nick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to you both for your thoughts on this matter. i must have a problem then as scaero states the needle should travel about 1/4" into the red zone but mine doesn't even make it into the red slash markings before the red zone... does this sound like theres trouble brewing or are there other things i can check beforethe turbo charger????

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Have a look at the fuse in the glovebox marked APC (i think it might be no. 5 off the top of my head) and see if it is intact. If it isn't the boost control won't be working and you'll only have base boost (around 5 psi) rather than the 14 psi that Aeros should have.
Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I f you think it's quick enough, then it may be something simple like a leak in the vac hose to the gauge. Where does is sit
a) with the ignition off
B) at idle.

To check the APC is working, try accelerating in 3rd gear at around 3000rpm and very lightly apply your left foot to the brake. You should see the gauge drop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi
i recently had a boost control valve replaced in my aero, and have noticed a massive drop in boost since. My guage doesnt even get into the red, it stops at the yellow stripes.
Could this be the same thing?
I was wondering if the garage had reduced the boost somehow to compensate for the valve going.
Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right here goes...... fuse is fine! gauge when engine off is best described as 'between 5 to 12 and 12 o'clock,when at idle is bang in the middle of the green zone...........3rd gear at 30mph floor throttle and dab brakes the guage doesn't drop but when on the brake you can feel the want to keep going..now this time the needle, in 2nd gear,only went halfway into the yellow zone. it doesn't come close to the red and yellow markings before the red. im lost now i can't understand it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be the APC solenoid. Do you have access to another T-5 Saab? If so borrow the solenoid and see if that's the problem.

BTW it's a three-minute job to switch them out. If this corrects the problem then you know what to replace. I think they are ~160 GBP.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
When you say the boost needle is in the green zone at idle, do you mean white? The standard zones are white-orange-red.

To confirm whether it's an APC valve problem, try removing the APC fuse and see if there is any difference in performance.

There's a bit more discussion on testing the APC valve here

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mark e- my car is a 1993 model with a green/yellow then red zone on the boost gauge. am i right in thinking later models had different clocks mine has the speedo that only shows 140 mph on it

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Ay yes, but when have you heard of a mere "LPT" with that sort of acceleration
. I think you might find that the speedo isn't the only non stock component EPC lists 9k speedos as 140mph or 240km/h

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
from what i remember the gauge is the same as my old 900 turbo and the 9000 carlsson. did all aero models come with the white/yellow/red boost gauge then? also wheres the best place to get the boost pressure checked-i live in north yorkshire.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by aerojod:
[qb]from what i remember the gauge is the same as my old 900 turbo and the 9000 carlsson. did all aero models come with the white/yellow/red boost gauge then? also wheres the best place to get the boost pressure checked-i live in north yorkshire. [/qb][/b]
at the Emerald rolling road day in Watton on Saturday....

Andrew
PS, my '91 carlsson id white/yellow/red as is my '93 Aero.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I just checked the EPC ...

The US LHD Speedo goes to 135, the GB RHD Speedo goes to 140 mph, while the rest of europe with both driving sides gets 240 speedo's (they read as 240, but have 250 marked).

However, the "combination instrument" that contains the boost gauge has MANY variants. I'm coming up with over a dozen part numbers depending on country, RHD LHD etc. This part varies immensely.

In fact it would appear californian models get their own special cluster with part number 45 18 692.

A 1993 cs Aero from GB should be part number 41 74 389.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mark e and co...
i must apologise mines white too!!!!!!!!!!!!! its cos i checked it at night, doh.!!!sorry
would love to test it on the rollers,where is watton?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Watton is sort of mid way between Kingslynn and Norwich and just a few miles south of the A47 from Necton.

just wiza off to multimap and ask for watton norfolk.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 28 Posts