Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is possible to successfully use Apexi/Blitz type electronic boost controllers and air/fuel controllers on a GM 900 turbo? The Trionic system seems a bit more advanced than some of the Jap cars' engine management systems. I quite fancy the idea of being able to play around with my boost setup and it will probably work out cheaper than a trionic upgrade. At the moment I am putting off getting a ecu remap as it will presumably work out cheaper in the long run to get an airfilter and powerflow exhaust and decat pipe on first and go straight for a stage 3 Maptun upgrade (around 265 bhp).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Question as the subject is about boost controllers.(92, 2.3 Carlsson) I have a MBC valve fitted and set it up to give me just off the red boost pressure. This was okay and I never hit the high boost pressure cut off. This was during cold winter months where boost was easy to attain. Now that we are in the hotter months I find I'm constantly hitting the overboost switch.....this is confusing me a little. The MBC is locked in place, I actually wound it down a wee bit yesterday and I still hit overboost.
Any ideas??

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by MarkA:
[qb]I met a guy with a 9K at the last Abbott Racing Saab ony trackday at Goodwood who was running an off-board controller on his Saab9000 Turbo.[/qb][/b]
Saabz2000's car is pre-Trionic, though. In fact, I seem to remember it's even pre-DI.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mark - I am getting exactly the same. I have an mbc. In winter I set it up to get top edge of the staggered red. (Same as mine was stock until the solenoid started to play up). The last few weeks I have had to play around with the control lots because I keep hitting the shut off. It mostly happens when the throttle is eased open (rather than foot immediately to floor!)-I know I should drive like this all the time anyway! I had actually changed sheel petrol stations, so wondered if it was that. But does it on the old station too..............

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by TurboRob:
Does anybody know if it is possible to successfully use Apexi/Blitz type electronic boost controllers and air/fuel controllers on a GM 900 turbo[/b]
I very much doubt it, for the reason you state below...

The Trionic system seems a bit more advanced than some of the Jap cars' engine management systems.[/b]
Trionic is just about the most advanced turbo control engine management system in the production cars today.

Yes, you could "successfully" use one of the controllers if you define successful as simply increasing boost- but you would lose all the protection from harmful knocking that Trionic gives you. If you want more go, I would recommend using one the the reputable Saab upgrade tuners, who will supply new software with a rempapped boost curve- all under Trionic control.

Mark/Paul- Trionic, as you probably know, is adaptive. One of the elements of "adaptation" is max boost fuel cutoff. Or put simply, the more often it happens, the lower the trigger point will become. Try disconnecting your ECU for a while, then take it out for an adaptation run, and see what happens.

Fuel will not make any difference to the value of boost at which overboost protection occurs, although higher octane rating may make it happen more readily.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
No Trionic here.....I backed off the adjuster a quarter turn this afternoon as the boost was going well off the end of the gauge and I then hit overboost once then it seems to have cleared the problem, it now boosts to the far end of the red and then drops back slightly. I need to bring the boost back up and I reckon I had a small bit of debris which had restricted the valve airflow as there are no moving parts in the MBC, its a crude type of needle valve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts