Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about eric's dual stage controller I did a search to see whether something like this was available commercially..
guess what I found a "dual gated boost control valve" which works like having two dawes devices
both set at different levels ...nice you think but ...
both levels are adjusted in car and are electrically switched ..so when mr porche is giving some trouble, flick a switch and see you later !!
And the price ..£120 inc shipping !!!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Well don't post the URL then, keep it all to yourself

Or do you want to make sure you get a spare supply of gearboxes first?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not too bothered about the dual boost gizmo but I do fancy having a Rocket Launch Switch in the car, looking purposeful. Very Bond-esque.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Well don't post the URL then, keep it all to yourself      

Or do you want to make sure you get a spare supply of gearboxes first?

[/qb][/b]
I think those of you with the finances to research performance mods should be spending more of your time trying to source uprated 'boxes IMHO. No point having more horsepower than the transmission can handle is there?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to agree mr ts...
however there is precious few people who can re-build these gearboxes farless modify them
Quaife is the only one that I know and they have not come up with anything yet...
going back to the boost gizmo... I like it as it will preserve the gearbox as I will only use full boost occasionally (theory !!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
For those of us that are forced by circumstance to shift automatically; there is hope. There is a Saab shop in Ft. Dodge, Iowa of all places that has developed a high performance torque converter for the 9000 series ZF. Applies in first and second gear as third and forth are direct.
PM me if interested in the web site.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
312 Posts
I found another interesting BOV at this website.
http://www.jrponline.com/
It's a twin chamber unit and as far as I know it's the only one that has that feature. Small chamber helps in quick spoolup and the large chamber allows for high boost pressures. Pretty interesting though I'm scared to see what the price is!!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
613 Posts
Perhaps I'm being dense, in which case ignore me, but isn't that gated boost controller simply a dual-stage MBC? Whereas ERP has worked something that alternates control between an MBC and the ECU.......which is totally different, right? Though I guess it would still work in a way to always have the spool-up of an MBC set at a pressure that would always be safe, and just occassionally flick the (very cool-looking) toggle switch to run higher pressure......hmmm.....

Other thoughts? Corrections if I've got it wrong?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
correct
however you can set the lower one at a very benign level and get some advantage of the quick spool up and the safety of the apc..but at the higher one

weeheee....

·
Registered
613 Posts
you can set the lower one at a very benign level and get some advantage of the quick spool up and the safety of the apc  [/b]
Wait, doesn't the MBC cut the APC box out of the loop entirely?? b/c that's the whole reason MBCs are ever at risk of being unsafe, right?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks, Julian, very useful indeed!

In light of all that, I think I'll be ordering one of those dual-gate boost controllers fairly soon and givin' it the old college try! I love my Stg 2 ECU, but miss the awesome spool-up of my Abbott MBC. If/when I get it ordered and installed, I'll post comments.

Thanks also to ylee for finding and posting the link.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I missed out where I was going to install it and ,as julian had indicated, I will be putting it in the line to the wastegate so that I still preserve some functionallity of the apc control
we will see how it compares to the dawes device as far as spiking is concerned ....
Although I have noticed that they have changed the design /internals for a faster response ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts